1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you know which chicks to pick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nikki1, Mar 4, 2012.

1. nikki1

nikki1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Eatonville, WA
    Okay, so after researching All Things Chicken for the past year, our coop is under construction and our local feed store will have my breeds of choice in a couple weeks. So here's my dilemma. When I go to buy, how do I look in a pen of peeping adorableness and pick the few I'm taking home? [​IMG]

First, I want healthy ones. I know better than to choose one that's dischargey or listless, but are there any other less obvious symptoms to watch out for?

Also, I want ones that have a basically friendly disposition. I've selected breeds that are generally friendly, but I wonder if there's a way to avoid the crabby or timid chicks.

Our chickies will be family pets first, and egg-layers second, so happy and healthy are important to us.

Thanks!

--Nikki

2. try and watch their behavoir for a little bit before you grab them, and dont get ones with pasty butts, try and get the most active ones, even the ones who run away from you would be best, if they stay they could be friendly or just sick. ones with bright eyes and run around are usually most healthy

good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by