How do you Know you have a show Orpington?

Bama Belle Goat

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 19, 2012
South Alabama
Hello,
I have had chickens for a few years now, Polish, Cochins, Bramahs and just round about mixed. But now, I am trying my hand at raising Lavender Orpingtons. They are gorgeous.....I have about 5 hens and have more Roosters than needed, trying to find homes for them, but right now, I need to pick a nice Rooster for Show. Is there anyone out there that can help me determine how to choose the right one?
Really do need some help and would very much appreciate all the advice that I can get right now.
Would love to hear from you!
Mauree

I would post pictures of him in the Breeds forum. There are several Orpington threads there, and the folks there are nice and knowledgeable.

Sorry I never got back with you........I have not been back on here since I got the bitties....they are gorgeous now.....over a year old. I just recently bought two hens that needed a home, the person lost the rooster that they had and she knew I had Lavender Orpingtons. So, anyway, I now have two little Frizzle Cochin Bantams that are just precious. They are showing thier feathers now and are so cute. I would love to show my chickens but do not have a clue as how to do it. Do your chickens need to be registered.....I know....that may be a crazy question but.....we have goats and they ARE registered and we show them at the shows that are closest to us. So, I wasn't sure is there was as much red tape with chickens as it is with goats, Thank you so much for your info though......just wish I wouldn't have gotten so busy elsewhere that I just now got back with you.
You take care! Hope to talk soon!
Mauree

Thank you for getting back with me! I didn't know if you wouild but so glad you did! Can we talk more about this sometime? Woudl love to discuss this further.
Hoping to get back with you soom! Mauree

The best way is to compare what you have to the APA Standard of Perfection. Which brings up a not so fun thing, Lavender Orpingtons are gorgeous birds, but are not a recognized variety. This means at a show your birds would be able to get best of variety but no further. Still a standard would help you identify good type and build. And there is a description for Self-Blue (Lavender) that you could use to evaluate your birds and then when/if they get recognized you'd be ahead of the game.

Back
Top Bottom