How do you like YOUR Anconas?

DUCKGIRL89

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
TN
Im just wondering how everyone likes their anconas? I know how much bayyjayy likes hers, I enjoy reading how much she loves them but how does everyone else like theirs? (bayyjayy you can still tell me how.much you love yours
tongue.png
)

I have 1. She's ok, not any tamer than my khaki and just as loud. She's about 6 months and hasn't started laying yet, so I don't know how good they are at that. She is pretty though.
smile.png

Quote:
I like them becuz they are very rare. I had one that I sold to a friend becuz they were in need of eggs. And she started laying like the week after I sold her but she lays really good they say. Now I want more

Last edited:
I know you are searching out the breed of duck that will best fit you right now. So what are you looking for in a duck?

Size?
Temperament?
Egg laying?
Coloration?
Loud/quiet?

This might help you in your search, if you rank the priority of importance. Say you want a prolific egg layer, that would rule out some breeds. Quiet and more likely to be friendly would give you a different list.

I like my Anconas. I find them to be very pretty, easy to tell apart, on the mellow end of temperament range and pretty good layers. I had them go broody last year (they were two years old, about the time I find my ducks start to go broody) and I'd love to find a drake this fall so I can have more of them!

Well, it doesnt matter about how loud they are, we live in the middle of nowhere so it dont matter.

I guess the temperment should be nice enough that the drake WONT come after me.

They should be somewhat good egg layers, since I plan on selling eating eggs.

I love the coloring of anconas the most!

And for size?...... Well big enough that maybe I can raise and eat a drake every now and then.

My Anconas are just finding their quacks, and I think I have quite a few girls.....and they are pretty loud...curious to see how loud they are going to be when they are mature. I love the noise, though. As much of a dog lover as I am, I would still prefer a few bursts of loudness from ducks than listening to a dog bark allll day long!

Yes, Duckgirl, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Anconas......so far, only for their looks, since that is my only experience with them. But, I DO love them.
lol.png

Another thing to consider is how popular in your area they are. Just cause they are rare doesn't mean everyone wants them. Since you want to sell eggs and all you might want to go for something with a bigger market, unless you are a good saleslady.
wink.png

Quote:
Im a very good sales lady!
big_smile.png
plus, nobody cares about rare here, but if they get rare ducks, then I am still populating my area with rare ducks. Get it?

Be sure if you do end up selecting a breed in need of help rebuilding it's numbers you breed to standard so you are truly helping the breed and not populating poor quality or mixed stock.

Back
Top Bottom