1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HOW do you MAKE a hen HATCH EGGS

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SelenaLuvChicks, Apr 21, 2012.

1. SelenaLuvChicks

SelenaLuvChicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2011
    Bakersfield
    GRRR... I want my hens to hatch their eggs soooo badly. [​IMG]
    What are some manys to make them hatch their eggs? [​IMG]

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Not possible, Selena. Nature tells them when to set. Providing you have a breed that is inclined to set, you can try leaving a 2-4 dummy eggs in a nest and see if anyone takes the bait. that's about all you can do.........Pop

3. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Sadly nothing.... I've tried the " isolation technique" which besides freaking them out didn't work well.... (although about 1 week later she did become broody) Depending on what breed you have (I have Polish so I was super happy when she became broody since she was the first in 7+ years of owning Polish) but most breed have had the mom bred out of them. Just leave her a clutch of eggs out there and maybe that'll kick the broody on.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You can't. As Pop said, you have to wait until their "broody hormones" kick in. It's been said that hatchery chickens have had the broody tendencies bred out of them. If you want chicks on your time instead of waiting for one of your hens to go broody, you might want to consider getting an incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by