How do you make a poop board?

Joe- you read my mind!!!

Today I was going to try to find a source for DE because I have put off ordering it to find a local source, but no luck. I looked up this company and found they have a third branch 20 minutes from me- I'm going to head over in a minute. The others are less than 45 mnutes away, too, so I was delighted with your info.

Thanks!!

ChooksChick,

Here are some sources for food grade de in Kansas.

# Sweetpro Feeds
Horton, KS
785-486-2626 [Ask for Craig]
[FOSSIL SHELL FLOUR]

# XF Enterprises
Pratt, KS
620-672-5616
[FOSSIL SHELL FLOUR]

# Brookside Barkery & Bath
14040 W 119th St.
Olathe, KS
913-782-2275
[MIX]​

Last edited:
Why would anyone want a poop broad? I find them to be gross and time consuming due to the cleaning thing (which Im not a fan of) I put up cherry tree limbs for my roosts they are wider(and free) and my orps are able to to stand on them fine and no poop on roosts at all, I use deep litter method on ground. I dont have to clean up too much poo and my coop is staying very dry.

Hello to another SW Missourian !
frow.gif

We are in the SW corner of MO here right between Springfield and Joplin , not far from the ARK line. Where are you from?
I have tried several ''poop boards'' and finally found one that works for me. My hubby has axcess to big 4x4 sheets of cardboard at work...so I just put one under my 4x4 roost and every 2 weeks I just fold it up and drag it out to the compost pile!! Wallah! Coop clean! No scraping or shoveling poop...just fold it up..... drag it out, replace a clean sheet of cardboard, add clean litter, some stall dry, and it is done!!
celebrate.gif

Here is a picture of our coop/roost before we got the birds. We use pine shavings on top of the cardboard that lines the floor.

20693_dsc02660.jpg

Your coop looks great and your birds look content there!

Keep us up to date on how they are doing !
yippiechickie.gif

welcome-byc.gif
to BYC!
smile.png

Last edited:
I don't have a poop board, but I have been thinking about a poop box/chamber. If you have the space that is. I don't have anything under the roosts and was thinking about building a box with a hardware screen on top that is big enough to cover the area under the roost. Their poop drops down thru (hopefully) the screen into the box area. Have an access door on the outside wall that swings up and out of the way. That way I won't have to go in the coop to clean/shovel out under the roosts. The chickens won't be able to wallow in their poop either, although they seem to enjoy that corner of the coop the way it is.

Quote:
The catch box you are describing is something like a "dropping pit"...well along those same lines.
Instead of a collecting board which is scraped clean frequently, the pit concept has the droppings collect for some time. In your case, it would be in a large pan.
You add lime once a week and then muck the whole thing out periodically.
Normally, the pit is employed under the roosts of floor layers in large laying houses, but that has fallen out of favor in the age of factory cage rearing.
Same idea, though.

mmtillman said:
Hello to another SW Missourian !
We are in the SW corner of MO here right between Springfield and Joplin , not far from the ARK line. Where are you from?

We are in Nevada, MO. Hello neighbor! Small world, for sure.
Kathy​

Roosts should all be at the same height, not 'staggered', as they will all want to be on the highest roost!
'My' droppings board is about 4 or 5 inches below the 2 roosts. I have a layer of pine shavings (with DE mixed in) on the droppings board (Tho' not in the picture below!).........and each morning I use a kitty litter scoop, to collect and sift the poo from the shavings! Then all is nice and fresh when they roost the next evening! My coop has absolutely NO ODORS!!!
Here's a picture............droppings board below, roosts 4 inches or so above...
16990_img_0039.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom