How do you make an automatic chicken door?

Judging by the images I think you can get it done. You guys do good work.

Seeing the run, It would be very easy to make the door like I did in this video. Just the frame and actuator. The other stuff is for a safety feature. Can be added later. It is just shy of 14 1/2 inches wide. It is designed to fit in-between two wall studs at 16" on center. But you can make it wider if you like. 4ft tall. Again designed to just cut and screw. I always try and design things so people who don't have many tools can ask Home Depot /Lowes to make the bulk of the cuts. They can get three 16" x 48" out of one half sheet and stick them in the trunk of a car. Same for some 1x2s and the 2x4s. Again build them all in the comfort of the garage and install one at a time. Cut that horizontal 2x4 in the run wall and slide in place. Staple/secure welded/cage wire to frame and cut. Add support where needed.

Diagrams for the controls:
02 Basic Timers
03 Basic Timers with Solar

Doing it this way will save battery life. A single 8Ahr battery can last you 9 months on a single charge. I had this timer running 3 actuators , 3 cycles a day. Open and Close three times a day. Not just Open once a day and Close once a day. For 9 months before I had to recharge. You can however buy 1.3Ah batteries and Cycle them through the coops that have mains power and charge them there.
Awesome, @Mouthpear. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom