How do you "make" blue partridge?

If I'm understanding the rest of the genetics posted in this thread combined with what I know of the Blue gene, the Splash to Black Partridge would result in only two options for offspring, Blue and Blue Partridge?, Then you could just breed your Blue Partridge Offspring back to the Black Partridge?

Edit: Could one follow the same process to create a Blue Silver Pencilled? Since Silver Pencilled is a Silver Partridge pattern? I suddenly got a flash of inspiration picturing a Dark Brahma, or Silver Pencilled Rock with Blue Replacing the Black and it sounds very awesome.

Last edited:
You should take a Partridge rooster because you can't garantuee that the blue donor isn't based on silver (groundcolor is hidden).

Cross partridge roo with a blue hen.
The offspring will not be Partridge.

Backcross a blue offspring hen to a Partridge roo.
Some of the offspring will be Blue Partridge.

2 Generations.

Wow. My BraIn Has Been Violated. I Find My Self Reading This With A Stupified Look On My face...Eyes Bulging Out Of My Head, Eyebrows Raised. Im Totally Engrossed In This Thread, But Feel So Simple For Thinking, "Huh, I Wonder What The Chicks From My White Chicken And That Other Black And Brown Chicken That Hates Me Would Look Like."

Mind Blown. *Sigh*

Ok I know this is OLD but I did it! I made Blue Partridge Rocks! 3 Crosses and the chicks are chipmunk striped. Might take a couple of more crosses to work on type but it is not too bad right now.

@Goose and Fig

First cross was to a nice Partridge roo I had and to my Splash Rocks I got from Holly. Then I crossed those pullets back to the partridge roo and he died on me. So in for a penny in for a pound right??? I ordered some Horstman Partridge chicks and they grew up at the same time as that second generation chicks grew out. This was the biggest and BEST looking roo ( I have a back up roo too) so I put him over the Horstman pullets. They are LAYING LIKE CRAZY too. I will be hatching like crazy so I can pick the best of the blue pullets to cross back to my best horstman Roo.

Is this one? Just asking . . My. .

Is this one? Just asking . . My. .
You want a chick picture? I don't think I have one. I have blue partridge rocks. I don't seem to have any pictures on BYC. That is not looking like a blue to me. BUT they are not easy to tell for sure till they feather in and you can see the blue. I don't have but one blue hen the others are from Dick Horstman and I am breeding a blue back to them to keep improving them. I just set a big batch of eggs form that pen.

I haven't been able to get this out of my head since someone posted pics of blue partridge brahmas yesterday. So- what colors do you need to cross, and how many generations until you have blue partridge offsping? I'm assuming it works like other BBS and you will get some regular partridge and possibly splash partridge (OMG I'd LOVE to see THAT!)?

Anyway- wondering if I can ever get there using a splash or blue bird and partridge ones. I have lots of colors to work with, but I'm looking to use only single combed breeds.
i wonder what it is the diffrent between gold and patridge ?? what is the color of a patridge rooster ??

Back
Top Bottom