How do you make hen broody

aritor23

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 20, 2007
Hi,

Is there a way to make a hen go broody?

I have Buff Orpingtons who have gone broody in the past, but I want to hatch out some more chicks.

I was just wondering if there was any way to make one go broody. If not I'll try an incubator.

Thanks for your help,

Aritor

You could try adding one golf ball to the most used nest box, while removing the eggs, to create a stash. This might trigger one to go broody. But, in case you hadn't noticed, hens tend to do what they want to do, period.
roll.png
So while you're adding golf balls (leaving eggs could cause them to get broken and start a whole nother problem), I would be warming up the bator.

Yes, welcome to BYC....I agree with Becky...I have tried to get lots of hens to go broody but can't...they do there own thing just like a woman!...if she don't want tooo she won't...Sometimes if you have a hen to go broody and want to keep her that way (which I feel is hard on them)...you can keep fake eggs in the nest box til you set her on a clutch of fertile eggs....my two cents.....A back up plan with an incubator is the way to go....

Thank you,

I guess I'll try the gulf ball thing, but I have a friend I'm going to buy some eggs from. My mom has used and incubator before, but this is my first time.
We'll see how that goes.

Thanks,

Ariana

I must have gotten lucky because it was extremely easy the time I did it. I think it helps a great deal to have the hen you want to use in isolation from other hens and bothersome roosters, however.
I let a couple of eggs collect in the nest, and then replaced those with wooden eggs, then substituted the one the hen laid each day with wooden eggs. After there were about five in the nest she showed definite interest in hanging out there. When there were enough in the nest, I slipped fertilized eggs under her, and then pretty much left the job up to her. She spent increasing amounts of time on the nest, and had 100% hatch on the 21st day!

I don't think its possible to "make" a hen go broody.
Some breeds are prone to go broody, others are not, so that is a factor also.

Give the incubator a try, it won't be nearly as grouchy as a broody hen!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom