how do you make quail lay eggs???

Taylor

Songster
11 Years
Dec 14, 2008
I have a quartet of coturnix quail and i was wondering how i would make them start laying, i'm in the mood for quails eggs! Yum

Squeeze them reall hard--- eggs should pop right out! (just kidding--- No seriously dont do that!)

Coturnix quail need 14 hrs of uninterupted light a day to stimulate laying.

How do you stop them?
lol.png
I get 60 a day,will soon run out of room in the incubator. Give them light,keep them warm during the cold, after a few weeks they should start to lay.

Don't get them wet, never feed them after dark... Oh wait thats something else. Lots of light. Mine get light 24/7 at 150 watts in an 8 x 10 room. Also good feed! Which is sometimes hard to find. I make a blend for mine, 1 part calf manna, 1 part cat food, 1 part chicken layer and 4 parts chick starter all ground in a coffee mill. Works great and makes good eggs!

Chris

I just walk by the pen eating a piece of Kentucky Fried Chicken, stop look down and smile.
The next day i have a load of eggs and very nervous quail.
lau.gif

Someone on here mentioned 24/7 light. This will not only stop your quail from laying, they will die early from exhaustion. You will need to increase lighting to at least 14-16 hours of light. I use a full spectrum bulb which has ample vitamin D in it. Protein boosts is important as well. Remember, patience is key with any animal. They will lay when they want to.

Back
Top Bottom