How do you make your chickens more comfortable with you?

I have a couple welsummer Rhode island reds and one barred rock they're all very friendly and affectionate..I feed lots of treats and also sit in the run and read a book for a little each day...i always cuddle and give treats to anyone "brave" enough to sit in my lap and eventually they all fight for that spot :) just have to spoil them a little the way to a chickens heart is most definitely thru their tummy :)

I have 5 RRI this week they will be 14 was old and as said in other posts they would let me pick them up and hold them but know they want nothing to do with me. I've started give scratch and some other treats every night I try in sit in the run with them and they are starting to loosen up a little but not much. I guess like said it takes time.

I noticed when my pullets reached the point of lay, they got VERY friendly! They would do the egg squat for me and would constantly get underfoot when I was around. All the advice has been great - the way to a chicken's heart is with treats! Mine love mealworms and will come running when I call and shake the bag. If I am too slow, they will jump up and try to get it out of my hand.

Please do not feed your hens bread. It isn't good for them. Treats are wonderful, how about grapes, blueberries, mealworms, melon, squash. Hens love meats the best, in my flock. Keep grapes in your pocket, though, and they will follow you anywhere! <3

Mine seemed to get less friendly at about 3 months old, but when they were about 5 months and just about to lay, they got more friendly again. I guess it's their "teenager" stage. LOL.

They seem to be calmer now that they are laying, and quicker to come when I call "chick, chick, chick." Of course they are expecting treats, a bit of scratch, some kale or other greens, tomatoes, or if I feel like sitting down with them (and especially for their weekly foot, vent, mite check) I'll have mealworms. They'll even jump for them!

One thing to remember is when you go to put them down don't let them flap and squawk and misbehave... Put them down on the ground and don't let go till they are calm and quiet, if they start flapping and squawking pick them back up talk to them calmly, rub under there chin and try again... If they get away with bAd behavior they'll learn all they have to so is flog you to get you to put them down...

Some birds will never want much to do with people, but something you can do to help is offer treats and talk to them. It doesn't really matter what you say exactly, as long as your tone of voice is calm and friendly. Chickens are very vocal creatures, and they communicate a lot with the sounds they make. Listen to the "words" they use when they're being calm and friendly towards each other, and imitate that tone when you move among them.

Offering coveted treats is another way to warm a chicken up to you. My hen Eclair normally has nothing to do with me, but if I shake my hand a certain way, she knows I have a treat that's just for her. I started doing this when she was about six months old when I realized she would battle the entire flock for the chance to get to a cicada that had fallen into the run. I started picking up cicadas I found lethargic around the yard, and shaking my hand at her with the bug in my fingers. She made the connection that that gesture meant something really good. She still doesn't want much to do with me, but she will nonetheless come running if I give the sign for goodies.

One of my hens favorite treats are greens: Dandelion, chard, spinach, red lettuce, clover. I sit in their run and feed them the bits by hand. They love this because they can easily take the little snips off. And I just sit in the run on a stump and watch them on my rest breaks or for AM coffee. I still have a few that are stand offish but I have noticed as they get ready to lay eggs they become much friendlier. I have a variety of hens and some are more friendly than others.

Back
Top Bottom