How do you pass the time when you're too exhausted to move?

NurseELB

Songster
11 Years
Oct 16, 2008
Lacey, WA
I have an auto immune disorder that causes severe fatigue and pain. For the last 2 days I have been stuck in bed with exhaustion, and pain in all my joints, especially my fingers. There is nothing on TV, My hands hurt too much to hold a book, and I'm BORED! *whine*

I have a large list of things I want to accomplish, chores and such, but I can't get to any of it from the darn bed.

My question is, Is there anyone else out there confined to bed at times? What do you do to pass the time? I figured I can still type, if slowly, and maybe there is someone in the BYC as bored as me...

That has to be incredibly boring...I can't even imagine. We'll keep you company
big_smile.png

I don't have the pain that you have or the lack of mobility, but I do go through extreme tiredness. However, I have found naps make things worse for me, so I mostly just hang out here on the computer to pass the time until the tiredness goes away.

Thank you! I don't get this bad often, but I've been under a tremendous amount of stress lately and that can cause it to flare. I'm hoping to be back on my feet tomorrow, been down 2 days this time. Usually I just sleep for 24 hours and then I'm fine.

I've looked on the "on demand" from the cable. Seems like all they want to play is horror/ thrillers which give me nightmares. Today my husband was so frazzled about taking on the daily chores I didn't have the heart to ask him to bring the movie books- they probably weigh 10 pounds a piece and are cumbersome to say the least. I could open them if they were on the bed I think. I can barely open my pill bottles today, though. I'll look through the hallmark channel movies again, but there are only so many of those I can handle! What I need is a good romantic comedy.

Nurse ELB,

I am sorry about your pain.
Hmmmm, could you find something with a couple clicks on the computer about meditation.
Just to relax you.
Soft music, warm light, breathing deeply.
I hope you find a way to ease your discomfort.
This may sound old fashioned, but my mother (had rheumatoid arthritis) would soak here hands in warm wax.
She told me it was quite soothing.

Beth
Hoping for a quick (but not tooooo quick) recovery.
smile.png

I LOVE paraffin treatments! I forgot about that. Maybe there'll be one of those home paraffin kits under my Christmas tree this year. I'll have to ask Santa! Thanks for the memory jog- that is one of the recommendations my doc gave me but the list is SO long I lose sight of some of them.

I surf the net.

There is tons more interesting stuff out there than TV and waaaay more intellectually stimulating if you look for it. There is more on youtube than clips of people being idiots.

There are lectures on various subjects from some Ivy League schools just lay there and listen!

http://www.openculture.com/freeonlinecourses

There is also TED short lectures by a wide variety of experts on something that is their passion...... those are cool I wish I had enough time to listen to those.

http://www.ted.com/

Gosh pick a subject that interests you and let me know, I will help you find good places for that area.

edited to add links

Last edited:
I'm wondering if a Kindle would help you be able to read without pain. To turn the page, you press one button.

You could always get one (if you can afford to) and try it. I believe they allow returns for just about any reason for thirty days.

Magazines should lay flat. Perhaps a family member could check them out of the library for you.

If you have high speed access then you can watch a HUGE number of programs online. Hulu, all the major networks, etc. have things online.

Netflix is also nice. You can pay about $10 a month and have access to all of the shows they have online plus one dvd "rented" at a time (sent through the mail, no postage costs). That gives you a bigger assortment of things to watch.

Perhaps you could get some sort of stand or something to hold books for you, so that you wouldn't have to hold the book, just turn the page. Maybe a lap desk with some sort of big rubberband like things on it to hold the book down for you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom