how do you position the eggs in the incubator?

That's what I do with my LG. Cut the tops off, put the eggs in them pointed side down. I use 1" thick boards, my son's blocks, to prop under one side for turning. I switch sides 3-4 times per day.

I use sponges to help regulate the humidity, if you haven't done that yet, better get them in there. Also put a little water in the wells. I also put baby food jars filled with water in there to help regulate the temp when I don't have very many eggs in there. I always get better hatch rates when the incubator is filled full.

Do you have a hygrometer? If so, you may want to test it's accuracy before you use it. I'll try to find you a link on how to do it. This is pretty important. I have 2 hygrometers, one is off by 4% and the other is off by 6%. When I adjusted the humidity with the correct numbers, my hatch rates got much better.

Ok, stabilizing temperature.

Only move the regulator a TINY bit, then wait for an hour and check it.

Also, if you fill a couple small jars with warmish water and put lids on them, this will help you regular it. Olive jars or small canning jars.

Make sure it is regulated before you put the eggs in, perhaps 24 hours.

The eggs should be in a cool room (not the fridge). Stored large end up. (pointy end down, of course)

I am pretty new also, someone else taught me these things about the LG and I have been pretty successful at regulating it.

OH--don't use the thermometer that come with it. Hold it over a waste basket, say 'rest in peace' and toss it in.

Get a combo thermometer, digital, temperature and humidity, from Walmart, about six bucks. It will help you.

In a way I don't feel I should say anything, being new, but someone with more experience did help me, and these tips were very helpful. So I am passing it on.
smile.png

Catherine

Well, you are taking a risk with not hatching with a hygrometer. I'm sure plenty of people have successful hatches without one though.

Too much humidity is bad, so is not enough.

When you get the thermometer from Walmart, Lowe's, wherever, check the temperature it is showing against other thermometers there. Chose one that shows a temperature near the average of all of them. You'd be surprised how much it can vary.

Back
Top Bottom