How do you preserve eggs?

LaurasLorps

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Arkansas
My girls are laying way more eggs than we can eat right now, so I was thinking about trying to preserve some for this winter when the egg production slows way down.

I've read about people who freeze eggs, some that pack them in salt and some that rub them with vaseline. I've never tried this before, so I am wondering what methods you all have used and what tips or tricks you could offer.

Also, how long will eggs keep in the fridge? Will eggs the girls lay in November still be okay to eat in February if all I have done is refrigerate them? If so, maybe I won't worry about trying any preserving methods.

The Mother Earth News did a very interesting experiment on the quality of preserved eggs, using several different methods. Their conclusion was that the best way to preserve eggs is to store them unwashed in the refrigerator, and they would still be decent quality and very edible after even 6 months. Some of the "preservation" methods resulted in very unpalatable and even rotten eggs. Washing them reduces their storability and quality.

Back
Top Bottom