how do you quiet loud silkies?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by meishka, Mar 13, 2011.

1. meishka

meishka In the Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    I have four silkies - two who are over a year old, one that is almost a year and another that is around 9 months. Over the span of two months they all went into broody mode (the first time for the two younger ones) and then one day they all "woke up" and have been back to their old routine EXCEPT now they are so loud! they just "kevetch" (as my jewish grandmother would say) all the time - wech...wech... wech. something that they did not do before the "big sleep".

I bring them treats which quiets them down...that is until the treats are gone. I'm hoping its a phase but does anybody have any hints as to how to get them to settle down? and does a chickens behavior change after being broody? can they be trained to be quiet (like a dog being trained to stop barking)? I'm worried that i have trained them to make noise to get treats....

my neighbors have always been cool with the sometime noise but I'm worried that the constant noise will change their mind and to be honest its starting to drive even me a little crazy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: