How do you Raise your Chickens?

Impressive! I let my boys stay integrated with the flock as long as possible, but Gerard accidentally sliced open one of my girls (requiring expensive surgery) so he had to move to his own bachelor pad - a sectioned off part of the run, so he’s still part of the flock. Sometimes when I’m working in the yard, I’ll let him out (I know he won’t wander off from the flock and one chicken is easier to keep an eye on than several - in case the dogs get too curious).
Have you ever thought of possibly despurring him? Not saying you should, but just an idea if he caused that kind of damage.

I keep chicks in the living room, so they always get talked to and picked up. I spread an old bedsheet on the floor with a cardboard corral, and go sit on with them a few times a day. When it's bedtime, I move the brooder tote into a darker, quieter room, let them snuggle in my arms until they're sleepy, then gently put them under the heat plate. Someone's got to fill in for mama hen!

Have you ever thought of possibly despurring him? Not saying you should, but just an idea if he caused that kind of damage.
I did look into it, but he’s so much bigger than my two Polish girls he’d still risk hurting or even killing them. And I already have Rori (my bantam boy) incorporated with the flock. He’s tiny and he is mostly interested in ‘his’ hen. I’ve never seen him show interest in the Polish girls at all.

I keep chicks in the living room, so they always get talked to and picked up. I spread an old bedsheet on the floor with a cardboard corral, and go sit on with them a few times a day. When it's bedtime, I move the brooder tote into a darker, quieter room, let them snuggle in my arms until they're sleepy, then gently put them under the heat plate. Someone's got to fill in for mama hen!
I love it!!! :love And YES! They need that active love and affection from their Chicken Mama:wee.

I did look into it, but he’s so much bigger than my two Polish girls he’d still risk hurting or even killing them. And I already have Rori (my bantam boy) incorporated with the flock. He’s tiny and he is mostly interested in ‘his’ hen. I’ve never seen him show interest in the Polish girls at all.
Are you able to get him some large girls? Not sure if it will help though, just an idea.

Here's a few of my Big Babies.
20210118_122149.jpg
20210118_121901.jpg
20210404_090908.jpg
20201224_155128.jpg

OMG! That first boy chicken is sooooo purty!!!
Thanks, that's my boy Dino, he's a project color Orpington I'm working on. Second picture is son Goober, 3rd picture is my Heritage Plymouth Barred, he's gonna be used for the project for better barring. 4th picture is my boy Maran, a Marans/Gamefowl cross.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom