How do you remove poultry staples?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ernie, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Ernie

Ernie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Sounds like a dumb question, but I need to remove a couple of staples that I drove in where it turns out I don't want them. It seems that once a poultry staple has been driven into the wood, it's really hard to remove without destroying the hardware cloth or the wood. Any tips? Thanks!

2. wing it

wing it Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
    use a pair of cut off pilers sometimes called nippers

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Drive a large nail under the center to pry it out.
    Sometimes a screwdriver will work.
    They can be hard to get out no matter what you do

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I tap one edge of the needle nose pliers under it with a hammer and work it up.

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

If you have a fencing tool you can use that, too. And there are special pliers with hook-like tips made especially for staples. If you have an office staple remover it *might* be strng enough...

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Honestly, anything you do will tend to cr*p up the wood and/or the mesh. Your best bet is to leave the staples there if at all possible. If not, you will preserve the mesh best if you get something sharp and poke it under the staple to try to lever it out enough to grab with vise-grip pliers or similar; you will preserve the wood best if you sacrifice adjacent meshes to pull them out of shape enough to get the claw of a hammer in there, with one half under wire on each side of the staple (so staple is under, parallel to, the cleft in the claws) and pry it out that way by the wire.

Good luck, "have fun" [​IMG]

Pat

7. Ernie

Ernie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the help everybody! I tried the cut off pliers and they worked perfectly! [​IMG]

8. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    When I had to remove a bunch of them I used this tool I got at the hardware store for removing nails. It's like a double screwdriver tip with a "v" in the middle and is bent like a spoon. I used a hammer to work the tip under the fencing nail (called grampas sometimes here in the Southwest) and then used the bend in the tool to torque them out. I had to remove over 100 of them and it worked really well.

Mary

9. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    Oh my goodness! I swear my pen is being held up with staples and I fear, if I was to remove them, the whole thing would come crashing down. After numerous applications and removals of thick plastic to keep the bad weather out, there must be thousands of them!

10. tigerbarbd

tigerbarbd Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2009
    Maryville,Tennessee
    Quote:Good Morning........I am glad you were able to remove the staples. For future use, there is a tool made just for the large staples. They are called "fence pliers" and Northern Tool sells them for under $10.00. They are used for installing and removing staples, very handy. Hope this helps..Don

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by