How do you resist feed store chick

You don't. Your best bet is to just STAY AWAY! Even someone like me who does not name their chickens and sees them as farm animals with a job to do (fill my egg cartons or fill my oven) has a hard time walking past the chicks.

Been there! I coo and smile at the cute fluff balls; then I remind myself that I don't have the set-up, space, time, patience, etc to take proper care of them. A few moments of joy will lead to a stressful situation and not be fair to the chicks.

You're certainly asking that question of a lot of people who don't know the answer! I, for one, am so bad at resisting that when the local feed store only had one layer chick left in a stock tank full of broilers, their poultry person actually GAVE me the chick and boxed her up for free. If I walk through checkout without chicks, the clerks harass me.

My best defense, as deidreg pointed out, is to remind myself that I am out of space for more chickens -- unless I update and rework that one little unused coop that needs some fortification ...

Back
Top Bottom