How do you secure your tractor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gogoalie, Jun 1, 2010.

1. gogoalie

gogoalie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Alaska
    I've an uncompleted chicken tractor, & just had some lil' puke steal one of my chickens this mornin'! I am seething mad right now...one at myself for not securing my birds...& two that I HAVE to secure my birds, to prevent theft! I don't have hasps but I'll buy some & lock the tractor up, but for now I am going to screw some boards on the doors, till I get the hasps...I can't abide thieves! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    So a person stole your chicken?

3. CrazyBirdLady

CrazyBirdLady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Salem / Redgranite
  4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Honestly, if someone wants to steal your chicken, they probably own a wirecutter or bolt cutters, and a padlock won't do much to help.

A padlock would deter a *casual* thief though.

Motion detector floodlight in the yard might help.

Best of luck, sorry you're having this trouble,

Pat

5. gogoalie

gogoalie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Alaska
    I pretty much resigned to the fact that it could happen again & that bolt cutters & wire cutter would be employed the next time, but that would be enough to have my dog wake me...This was a definate hit & run type theft, & if I had no dog, the lil' theif would've taken off with all my chickens...& yes it was a person...I searched the whole town & there was NO SIGN of my bird...'til I get hasps & padlocks, I'll screw some boards on the doors...that'll styme another hit & run...& will upgrade to motion light (even thou in summer they're not needed)& a Motion detector would be even better...[​IMG]

Thanks for all your input & concern...pretty sad that I have to worry 'bout thieves in such a small town...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by