How do you sell your eggs?

Pics

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
I’ve been selling my eggs recently. $3 /doz and i’ve been posting on my town/local facebook page, first come first serve, I’ve been doing pretty good so far. But because of the current amount of eggs i’m getting (which will change in the coming months) I kind of have a waitlist. I’m thinking about going through the waitlist, which isn’t that many people, and then continue posting first come first serve.
So i’m wondering what the other options for selling eggs are? I don’t want to do a stand. I was thinking maybe just a cooler on my porch, with a lock box they can put the money in. But then i worry about not honest people.

Let me know!

Attachments

• eggs-944495_640.jpg
    eggs-944495_640.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 380
Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the in the mid '80s we sold to our local coffee shop for a whole $1.25 and a cup of coffee. The lady just wanted fresh brown eggs and we were neighbors. At the time we had 36 RIRs with 4 roosters. All the other eggs were given to other family, neighbors and a "soup" kitchen. Other than the coffee shop I can't remember charging for eggs. Now with 8 hens I think between family members and ourselves there won't be any left to consider selling. For me the birds were the enjoyment, eggs were secondary.

Back in the in the mid '80s we sold to our local coffee shop for a whole $1.25 and a cup of coffee. The lady just wanted fresh brown eggs and we were neighbors. At the time we had 36 RIRs with 4 roosters. All the other eggs were given to other family, neighbors and a "soup" kitchen. Other than the coffee shop I can't remember charging for eggs. Now with 8 hens I think between family members and ourselves there won't be any left to consider selling. For me the birds were the enjoyment, eggs were secondary.
The birds are for enjoyment and eggs are also secondary too for us. I’m not making selling my eggs a full time job just something where i can make a little bit of cash from for the chickens haha. We always seem to have a couple cartons and not many people to give too so

I’ve been selling my eggs recently. $3 /doz and i’ve been posting on my town/local facebook page, first come first serve, I’ve been doing pretty good so far. But because of the current amount of eggs i’m getting (which will change in the coming months) I kind of have a waitlist. I’m thinking about going through the waitlist, which isn’t that many people, and then continue posting first come first serve.
So i’m wondering what the other options for selling eggs are? I don’t want to do a stand. I was thinking maybe just a cooler on my porch, with a lock box they can put the money in. But then i worry about not honest people.

Let me know!
If you are using FB, people won’t want to call or text you or let you have their phone number. They want to do Messenger only. But if people don’t want to talk to me or let me have their actual phone number, why would I want them to have my actual address?

So I only use Craigslist and post cards on Tractor Supply’s bulletin board. I write that in order to get my address, they have to speak to me live. This narrows my customers down to people I can get to know and trust. Then when they do porch pickup, I leave a regular envelope with change for a twenty in it so they don’t necessarily have to have exact change.

When it’s someone new coming for the first time, I make a point to be there and meet them. With long term customers it’s 50-50 whether we see each other or not. Unless you have a ton of eggs to get rid of, you don’t need a steady stream of strangers coming over.

I do have tons of eggs, but I would rather boil them and feed them back to my chickens than go to a huge effort selling them.

If you are using FB, people won’t want to call or text you or let you have their phone number. They want to do Messenger only. But if people don’t want to talk to me or let me have their actual phone number, why would I want them to have my actual address?

So I only use Craigslist and post cards on Tractor Supply’s bulletin board. I write that in order to get my address, they have to speak to me live. This narrows my customers down to people I can get to know and trust. Then when they do porch pickup, I leave a regular envelope with change for a twenty in it so they don’t necessarily have to have exact change.

When it’s someone new coming for the first time, I make a point to be there and meet them. With long term customers it’s 50-50 whether we see each other or not. Unless you have a ton of eggs to get rid of, you don’t need a steady stream of strangers coming over.

I do have tons of eggs, but I would rather boil them and feed them back to my chickens than go to a huge effort selling them.
I just started out, like i said. If they text, they text. If not then oh well. Not worried about them not texting me.

Confused on how someone is supposed to talk to you live without having your address? You mean over the phone?

I just started out, like i said. If they text, they text. If not then oh well. Not worried about them not texting me.

Confused on how someone is supposed to talk to you live without having your address? You mean over the phone?
Yes, I mean over the phone as opposed to texting or emailing or other messaging. So I can hear their voice and have a real conversation.

I lose a lot of inquiries (for bird sales) at the point where I ask them to call me. And that’s fine with me, because it weeds out the types that I don’t want to come here.

Yes, I mean over the phone as opposed to texting or emailing or other messaging. So I can hear their voice and have a real conversation.

I lose a lot of inquiries (for bird sales) at the point where I ask them to call me. And that’s fine with me, because it weeds out the types that I don’t want to come here.
I would understand that with bird sales or hatching egg sales. But my eggs are only for eating lol.

I just mention that when talking to people that if they need eggs, to let me know because I'm starting to get some now that it's warmer. They tend to either ignore it or ask how much (insert amount) would be.

Back
Top Bottom