How do you set out your books?

Angel07

Songster
Mar 11, 2021
Victoria, Australia
I’m thinking of getting a couple of books to keep track of my flocks. I’ve got ducks who we’re breeding whenever we can. Chooks who we’re getting a rooster as well so we’ll breed them. We’ve also got turkeys, geese and peacocks who we breed during their season. We’ve also got an aviary of birds which would be good to keep track of because I don’t even know how many we’ve got in there at the moment :oops:. We’ve also got sheep that would be nice to keep track of (only 3 ewes, a ram and 2 lambs at the moment bu I’ll still write it all down.

Anyway, would you be able to tell me how you set up your books or post pictures or something. Thank you!

I always recommend keeping a flock diary. In your case, I would have one for each species. It isn't necessary to have one for each flock but a book for each species/variety.
In it goes everything, moving birds, feed changes, medications, introduced birds, birds sold, vaccinations, illness, injuries and deaths.
I have separate books for incubation. Parents of the eggs if known, egg weight, egg color, date laid, date set in the incubator, etc.. I then track weight a couple times during incubation to verify humidity has been proper.

Last edited:
I use excel spreadsheets to track all I need to.
Better than a paper book, IMO, because data can be rearranged when needed.
....and once set up it does all the math for me.
So true. I like Excel for adding formulas. But since I was born before paper was invented, I'm partial to a physical book.
Plus, in my life, I've had computers die at inopportune times.

I use excel spreadsheets to track all I need to.
Better than a paper book, IMO, because data can be rearranged when needed.
....and once set up it does all the math for me.
Honestly, I was thinking using excel but it confuses me. I'm not very good at technology. I don't know, just a paper and pen seems more reliable to me anyway

Back
Top Bottom