How do you sex a quail

BirdMachine

Hatching
Jan 2, 2016
I just hatched 5 quail and there may be more coming... I don't know how to sex them but if you do please tell me!!

In the case of buttons, they can usually be sexed either by the color of the feathers around the vent or by the presence or lack of a 'bib' (black and white markings in the chin area on males) when they are around 4-5 weeks old. I've heard someone saying they could see rust colored vent feathers (indicating a male) as early as 3 weeks old in some colors.
Some color mutations (tuxedo and white, in particular) can be hard to sex by feather color as both male and female tend to be all white in both vent area and chin area. Some say they can be sexed by the sounds they make, some say they can be sexed by behavior and some say the males get a light ring around the pupil which the females doesn't. Personally, I'm not too sure about those methods, I have no buttons that can't be sexed by the color of their vent feathers so I haven't had to resort to those methods :p

In the case of buttons, they can usually be sexed either by the color of the feathers around the vent or by the presence or lack of a 'bib' (black and white markings in the chin area on males) when they are around 4-5 weeks old. I've heard someone saying they could see rust colored vent feathers (indicating a male) as early as 3 weeks old in some colors.
Some color mutations (tuxedo and white, in particular) can be hard to sex by feather color as both male and female tend to be all white in both vent area and chin area. Some say they can be sexed by the sounds they make, some say they can be sexed by behavior and some say the males get a light ring around the pupil which the females doesn't. Personally, I'm not too sure about those methods, I have no buttons that can't be sexed by the color of their vent feathers so I haven't had to resort to those methods :p

Thank you I will look In to that

Back
Top Bottom