How do you soak a chicks bum in water?

MydearWatson

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 20, 2010
CT
I have a 9 day old Silkie who looks like she has a partial prolapse.
sad.png
I want to keep the area clean and I dont want to rub it too much anymore (been cleaning it with a wet Q-tip), I dont want to increase swelling. I think soaking is the best option. How do you go about this? Put her in a bowl that has water bum depth and let her stand in it? Or do I hold her legs and dip her bum in? Or should I just let warm water from the tap run on it? Not sure what the best technique is...

When I had to clean the back side of one of my chicks when they were tiny, I let her sit on my finger and then just lowered her into the water (bum only) to reduce how wet she'd get. The first dip or two she panicked but once she was in the warm water, she relaxed...I think it felt really good to her as she actually went to sleep with her rear end soaking in the warm water! Did winders for getting the poo off too.
wink.png

I just hold the chick in one hand and place their bumm under a slow stream of warm water from the faucet. I even will tilt the chick onto its side, to be sure and just get the bumm area.

After a minute or two under the water, I can lighty rub the feathers in that area to release any "stubborn" poo cling ons. When done, I pat the bumm dry and might lightly trim feathers around the area.

Back
Top Bottom