how do you stir the deep litter?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sydney13, Jul 23, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    ive been using the deep litter method and its been pretty clean considering that their is a goose in the coop [​IMG]
    i have been turning the litter fully over each day so that the bottom is on the top but im wondering if im supposed to just rake the top of the litter and leave the bottom to compost? and also how often should i throgh down new bedding?

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Songster

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Here is what I do for the deep litter method: There's about 6 inches of shavings in the coop, and I stir them around every day or every other day. Every 2 weeks or so I add about 1 cup of DE to the shavings and stir it around. I add new shavings maybe once a month.

I usually add new shavings when I notice the coop is getting a funky smell - with the deep litter method, there really shouldn't be a smell at all.

I'm assuming your coop has a dirt floor? If it does, then I probably would not stir it all the way to the bottom everyday, I would let the bottom compost.

3. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chirping

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    WHy expend all of the energy. Throw a handful or two of scratch on it each day and the birds will mix it up for you.

4. sydney13

sydney13 Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Quote:i have linoleum for the floor

5. scooter147

scooter147 Songster

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I just take the rake once week and move it, stir it etc. and mine does just fine. I have a 8 x 12 coop and use three bags of pine shavings twice a year.
    throwing the scratch around does work for me in the cooler months in the summer I could probably throw meal worms on the coop floor and they wouldn't scratch in it. It's just cooler outside and that is were they want to be.
    It's 99 degree here to day and 50% humidity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: