How do you stop feather eating/ pecking?

I would cover the area with Neosporin heavy
and thick during the times it's happening. It will help if there are any open wounds too.

I would cover the area with Neosporin heavy
and thick during the times it's happening. It will help if there are any open wounds too.

Thanks for the advice! Both girls have grown a lot of feathers since I've had them separated for about two months now! Bertha (the mean one) has a ton of feathers, and it's very obvious now that she is part silkie. She is still just as mean as ever though. She shares a coop with the rooster, Goliath. She has to stay separated when I let them all out to free range because I think she is even meaner now than she was before. Percy still has some bare areas on her butt, but it has definitely filled in a lot since she moved into the coop with the young hens. Now if only I could get Bertha to get along with everyone else!

Bertha

Percy's butt

Bertha & Percy visiting from opposite sides of the fence

Thanks for the advice! Both girls have grown a lot of feathers since I've had them separated for about two months now! Bertha (the mean one) has a ton of feathers, and it's very obvious now that she is part silkie. She is still just as mean as ever though. She shares a coop with the rooster, Goliath. She has to stay separated when I let them all out to free range because I think she is even meaner now than she was before. Percy still has some bare areas on her butt, but it has definitely filled in a lot since she moved into the coop with the young hens. Now if only I could get Bertha to get along with everyone else!

Bertha

Percy's butt

Bertha & Percy visiting from opposite sides of the fence
She probably will never get along with everybody else...unless you let all the young ones mature....and then put Bertha in with them...in that case she will be the new comer to an established flock....that might take her down off her high perch...or she will Lord it over the whole bunch...you'll just have to try.

Feather picking? Molting? Stress? What the heck is going on with these two birds? I lost a flock member last week, and about three days later these two girls started looking like this!!!!!!! Diet seems great, plenty of space in the coop, run, and nesting boxes.

Feather picking? Molting? Stress? What the heck is going on with these two birds? I lost a flock member last week, and about three days later these two girls started looking like this!!!!!!! Diet seems great, plenty of space in the coop, run, and nesting boxes.

Did you check them for mites or lice? I've read that people use Sevin or diatomaceous earth to dust the chickens & coops if they find lice. I also read that some people bathe them with flea shampoo. I've luckily never had this problem. From everything I've read though, it looks like bare necks are insect related.

Did you check them for mites or lice? I've read that people use Sevin or diatomaceous earth to dust the chickens & coops if they find lice. I also read that some people bathe them with flea shampoo. I've luckily never had this problem. From everything I've read though, it looks like bare necks are insect related.

I have! No mites or lice.....I think the culprit might be my black sex link. I don't have a rooster right now, and she has become very bossy......she's only after the EEs with beards and muffs it seems

I have! No mites or lice.....I think the culprit might be my black sex link. I don't have a rooster right now, and she has become very bossy......she's only after the EEs with beards and muffs it seems

Interesting. I don't know what to tell you. I used the blu-kote stuff so that mine wouldn't continue to pick at that area. It's seemed to help. It was upsetting to keep mine separated, but all of my chickens have beautiful feathers now, and they all seem happier. I don't know if that's the answer, but if you have the resources, I would definitely try it!

Every time I have had problems with pecking/pulling feathers, it has been the older hens doing it. Once I got rid of them the problem was solved. Which was fine for me because they were usually around 3 years old and had slowed down on egg production. Have found the same solution to eating/pecking/breaking eggs. It's always the older hens, in my experience, and when I cull the older hens the problem vanishes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom