How do you stop your pond freezing over in the winter?

lulu786

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 30, 2011
Hi there,
We just recently got 4 black indian runner drakes. (hopefully soon to get ducks too in the near future!)
And our pond keeps freezing over so my husband had to bash it with a stick so the ice would break but most possibly by the morning it'll be frozen for them again. I do have a bowl filled with water if they wanted to clean themselves though.
Any tips most appreciated!
Thanks

I don't really know how big your pond is, but they make heaters you can sink down in a small pond or stock tank, that work well.

We bought one of the smaller ones for our 50 gallon stock tank, and it ALWAYS keeps it free of ice.

Last edited:
It's quite small, just enough for our 4 drakes. But at the very end of the land, there's a running stream. But it can be quite steep to get to depending on which way to get to it, do drakes mind a running stream?

Quote:
I guess the question would be how big is your pond. I have quite a bit of info for keeping horse water unfrozen. If you can get an ariator out there something to keep the water moving will help. They also make Pond heaters very much like a water tank heater for horses. The pond heaters float. But if this is a big pond I think just giving them something to splash around in at home would be easier to deal with. You could use a tank heater on that. Tank heaters come in several varieties Probably the easiest to deal with would be the floating kind.

A good tank or pond heater would probably keep it clear for you. You can get the ones that float, or sink. I chose the sinking kind, so I could clear up more surface space for the ducks to swim, but either one works.

As long as you can run power to it, it would be worth a shot.

If the water is moving, it is less easily frozen. Aerators along with de-icers will do the trick
smile.png

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/pond-supplies/pond-de-icer/ps/c/5163/7660

We now have got a very large tub to put inside a coop for them to swim in
big_smile.png

Quote:
thanks for all the info!
Must say thats a beautiful pond area for your ducks!

Back
Top Bottom