1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you store eggs on countertop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 4theloveofhens, Nov 28, 2014.

1. 4theloveofhens

4theloveofhens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Our girls recently started laying so we will be getting 6 eggs a day now. How are people storing their eggs on the countertop to make sure that you use the oldest eggs first? I originally wanted a cute chicken wire basket but digging to the bottom to get the oldest eggs isn't practical... I've seen the "Egg Skelter" but it's $50.... sooo....

Thank you!

2. heiditam

heiditam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2014
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I just keep mine in a bowl. We go through enough I don't worry about one setting there for a week, I use them all up every 2 weeks or so. I don't worry about using Tuesday's egg before Monday's, things like that. Eggs can set out room temp a good month before you have quality issues.

When we get more eggs, I put them in cartons and use the cartons to rotate them...oldest on top, newest on bottom

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

I keep my eggs in cartons, but I date each egg with my grandkids water color pens. I figure if the water color is safe for kids to chew/suck on it should be safe on the eggs.

5. Eagleeyeice

Eagleeyeice Chillin' With My Peeps

I store mine in a cardboard egg carton and at this point I have ONE, so you can believe that I'll remember when it was laid. [​IMG]

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I use a cardboard egg carton laid open on the counter using both top and bottom of carton.
    Put them into the carton in certain order, fill dozens for sale as they fill up and store those in certain order also selling the oldest first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by