1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you store your eggs before setting them in the incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by henpeckedmuch, Dec 23, 2011.

1. henpeckedmuch

henpeckedmuch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    I have been told that one needs to keep eggs at around 50 degrees while saving them up to be placed in the incubator. How do you do that?

2. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    I dont. I keep them on the counter in racks. I usually dont let them sit more than a couple days.

3. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    I keep mine in the coolest part of the basement. I set every 7 days.

4. quailmale

quailmale Chillin' With My Peeps

x2 on the 7 day limit. [​IMG]

5. free_loader

free_loader Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2007
    DeLeon Springs
    egg carton on the counter... or somtimes in the fridge if i'm not sure i'm gonna hatch them

6. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

you can refrigerate eggs you wanted hatch? For how long?

7. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    egg crate in the utility room around 60 degrees pointy end down. collect for 5 days and put in incubator.

8. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    I collect for about a week at a time and store them in a styro cooler in a room we don't really heat. It stays in the lower to mid 50s there. High humidity is important so I put damp paper towels or water beads in a jar in the opposite side of the cooler to keep the humidity around 70% - 80%. I keep them in an egg carton and switch propping sides a few times a day. I have very good luck hatching them this way.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  9. free_loader

free_loader Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2007
    DeLeon Springs
    Quote:Probably not ideal storage, but if I'm not sure if I plan to eat them or incubate them I put them in the fridge anyway. I threw 7 maran eggs in the bator almost 2 weeks ago, the eggs were in the fridge for at least a week if not longer, and 6 of them are developing

in the past I've refrigerated quail eggs while I waited to get enough to fill my turner it usually took a little over 2 weeks to get as many as I wanted, and I still had 80% hatch rates

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by