how do you store your eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GreenDragon, Aug 9, 2014.

1. GreenDragon

GreenDragon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    SE Iowa
    i haven't had enough eggs to worry about storage yet. but was wondering how everybody stores their eggs.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I store mine in the refrigerator. I have only 6 hens, but lay more eggs than we can eat….rotate to keep the freshest for us and give away the excess to friends or steam or microwave and share back to the girls. They love them!

Bought clear plastic trays with covers At Bed Bath and Beyond - we keep 4 - each holds 14 eggs- and have a system of rotation to know which are the freshest.

Articles I have read show safety even kept for weeks at room temp, but I prefer to be safe and refrigerate.

The ones we used to buy are at least 3 weeks or more old before they reach the grocery, our are always used much fresher.

Most sources advise not to wash them, this removes bloom and removes their protection from bacteria. I have an egg brush I ordered on line, we just brush them if needed before placing in frig. If an occasional egg has a lot of poo, I wash it and cook to give back to the flock.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I wash/ rinse mine and refrigerate, and also have a rotation system worked out. Some go to coworkers and neighbors, and if I've got too many, to the local food bank. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by