how do you take a turner out of the incubator??????

Urbanchickenfarmer

Songster
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
Woodburn, OR
I need to take the tuner out so that the eggs are just sitting in the incubator. How do i do this without the humidity and temp dropping to much. Cause its time to go on lockdown and let them hatch. they should be hatching in the next 3 days.

I transfer mine to egg cartons, take the turner out and set the eggs, in the cartons back in the incubator. The temp and humidity will recover in not too long.....at least it does in mine.

Last edited:
Stupidly maybe.. but I just take the eggs in the turner very carefully out of the bator and put some some paper towel and put the eggs back in..

I don't do the egg carton method.. thought it was a great idea when I saw it posted on here.. and then after watching a hatch in one.. or a couple hatches actually,,I decided it looks like they take longer to get out as to me it looks like its fighting nature being so upright.. and fighting gravity... jmo

You should not put anything absorbent down under the eggs. Do not use papertowel. It's killed at least one hatching chick. The membrane needs to stay wet to allow the chick to hatch.

So long as you are moving eggs before you need to raise the humidity then it doesn't matter if you open the incubator. I usually candle on day 18 right before I raise humidity for hatching. The eggs are out of the bator for up to 10mins when I candle. The higher humidity is only important when they go to break the membrane and after that. That happens about 24hours before you see a pip but we want to make sure the membrane is moist enough by then and then there's the chance they go a bit early so someone long ago decided day 18 was the best day to stop turning and raise humidity.

Quote:
I switched to hatching in cartons well over a year ago and have had great success with it. My hatch percentage has went way up....especially on shipped eggs. My incubators run pretty much non-stop so I've done it that way many, many times.

Back
Top Bottom