how do you tell how old a chicken is?

Well, old chickens look old, their feet especially look old, and sometimes their beaks will look really old. But it can be quite difficult to reliably tell how old a bird is once they are a year old.

If you just got them, it is not uncommon for them to lay an egg within 24 hours. That egg was in development before you moved them to a strange place. Chickens are not a big fan of change, so may not lay again for a couple of days. Not sure where you are, but I live in SW SD, and the days are getting longer, and I anticipate mine starting to lay regularly without adding light in mid January. If they had a light where they were before, they may take a couple week break as they get used to the longer nights, and the strange place.

I think what you experienced is very normal when you move chickens, and this time of year. In six weeks I would expect them to be laying very well until late October, in which they will molt and take a break. Laying of eggs is dramatically decreased in the dark days of winter.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom