How do you tell if a feather will bleed?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 3chickchicks, Oct 30, 2013.

1. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    I need to trim the wings of mine and this will be my first time. I've read articles, watched videos and everything talks about not cutting new feathers but there's no images to show you how to tell.
    Does anyone have pictures that compare an older feather with a new one that will bleed? I just want to be sure I won't hurt my birds.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    How old are your birds? By the time a bird is five months old, its wing feathers should be grown in, and will not bleed when cut. If any feathers on the bird's wing are much shorter than the others, they are growing in, and should not be cut. If the wing looks like it has all of its feathers, you should have no trouble cutting.

3. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    They are 23-24 weeks old and one of them can make it to the roof of the house [​IMG]

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Look at shaft / base of a feather. Has the entire vain unfurled? Yes, feather no longer in blood or prone to bleed. No, then if cut in area still furled within waxy sheath will bleed. What this mean is that when using care you can even cut still growing feathers without bleeding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by