How do you transport meaties to butcher?

tlaquepaque

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 7, 2009
I'm considering getting some meat birds, maybe 15-20. I want to make sure I have everything lined up before I get them. I found a processor about 45 minutes away. I have a truck. What do I put them in to get them to the processor? I've never been so I don't know how people typically present their chickens at the location. Don't want to look like a silly city girl. I had 2 meat birds last year that someone gave me and we butchered ourselves but I don't have equipment or desire to do 20 myself.

Thanks

people bring them in everything expensive chicken crates, card board boxes, milk crates. The more confined the bird is the better your processor will like you. I have even heard of gunny sacks, but that just sounds mean. I usually use dog crates. Make sure they get enough air. Don't forget the ice chest to bring them home in!

I don't want to invest in chicken crates. So, I won't look crazy bringing them in cardboard boxes? I let mine get too big last time and I'm planning on doing 8 weeks I think.

We use our large dog cage and make it a double decker by sliding pieces of wood through the slots and making another shelf. We put 12 birds on the top shelf and 12 on the bottom. It works great and is easily cleaned.
thumbsup.gif

that is a great idea 4-h mom!!!

to the op no you won't look bad or foolish many people bring them in boxes, just don't over crowd and give enough air; they will jus tdrop at the suggestion of it at this stage.

Okay, seems I have transport figured out. Now I'm coming up with other stumbling blocks such as where to put the brooder? I put my layer babies in the basement until they can go outside but I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to handle more than a week of 20 meat birds in the basement. Gross! I have a ferocious cat who lives in the garage so that wouldn't work. I really need a barn or at least a shed but I don't have one.

The place we are going to use has cages we can go pick up before we bring them in, that makes it a whole lot easier!! But if the butcher is far away that wouldn't be so easy.

Back
Top Bottom