How Do You Use Ag Lime ????

pirtykitty

Songster
11 Years
Dec 8, 2008
Waco, Texas
I located a 50 lb bag of ag lime this morning. will go get it hopefully a little later today.. I was wondering how to use it.. I want to use it in duck yard and around back yard.. how often do you use it etc..
thank you

I just sprinkle my ag. lime all over the ground right before it rains. Then the rain helps it to soak in. Easy peasy!
wink.png

Some people also rototill it in, but where my coop and run is, I can't do that because of all the tree roots.

Quote:
It helps kill the bacteria in the soil and freshens the dirt up so it doesn't smell so bad. It's the same thing they use to mark the lines on baseball fields and is really inexpensive to buy. Just be sure to ask for agricultural lime (it's powder) because the regular lime would be bad, bad for the chickens and their feet.
wink.png

The Bag I found is pelleted .. a 50 lb bag is 12.98.. It's at the organic nursery called organic's Plus..
haven't been able to locate it any where else

Last edited:
The fact that what you found is at a nursery and in pellet form along with the high price makes me think it's not agricultural lime that you found. I bet it's regular lime which will hurt your chickens. Ag lime is a powder.

Call your local parks and rec. dept. and ask where they get their lime that they use to mark the baseball fields with. Our local cooperatives sell it here for $3.50 for a 50# bag.

Back
Top Bottom