How do YOU use scratch??????

nomoq

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 30, 2011
Elk Grove CA
I just bought my first bag of scratch. My chickens are about three months old and have been eating only chick starter feed. (other than bugs) I am not sure how to properly use the scratch. Do I mix it in with their starter feed? Do I toss some into their run?

Any feedback is appreciated...

Jim

Scratch is a treat, pure and simple. Think of it as junk food/candy for chickens. They love it and will gladly gobble it up, but it should be used sparingly as a treat - not as a nutrition replacement.
smile.png

I throw in a couple of handfuls but not every day-only when I don't have a better treat on hand. Right now our scratch is wheat seed with a few rabbit pellets in it. DH is supposed to give me some cracked corn the next time he grinds corn for the cattle but he forgets. He also saved me all the stuff he cleaned out of the trailer hoppers (we grow crops) but since the last crop was wheat, that's mostly what it is.

It is a treat, I toss it on the ground at night, so they know its about bed time, by 8pm they are in the coop and settled in...
It is not food, so don't mix it with the rest of your feed. Corn keeps the chickens warm, so winter and cold months are a great time to feed this item also.

I mix my scratch with wheat as well. And for my birds at my house (15) they get at night when i feed and hay the rabbits.

My 150 hens at the farm I rent only get scratch in the winter when they are in the hoop house. I take a seed spreader and fill half way and walk up and down the hoop house in early eve while I collect eggs.

In the summer I use BOSS & only give it to the birds right before they roost. Mine free range so I want them to eat bugs all day. I use the boss to lure them into the coop. In the winter I mixes BOSS with scratch & feed it to them the same way. The birds need more fat in the winter. I'm careful not to over feed this treat . I don't want to disrupt their protein intake.

Back
Top Bottom