How do you vacation when you have chickens?

Chicken.Lytle

Songster
12 Years
Oct 19, 2010
Montgomery County, TX
I need to travel a loooooooooooooooooong way by car, do some stuff, and come a loooooooooooooooooong way back. I am very worried about my flock while I am away.

How do you take a vacation? Who watches the chickens? What needs to be done? Do you have a checklist? Are there any things you have to tell someone NOT to do?

I have a plan, but I am worried that I have missed something important.
barnie.gif

Umm. . . I let the rest of the fam take the vacation and stay here with my babies.
tongue.png
Seriously I wouldn't trust someone else to watch 'em.

Course, if you have a safe coop and predator proof run, and provide a feeder and waterer with plenty there, and have nesting boxes with plenty room. . . You're all set.

This is a real issue for me too. Not just for the chickens, we have horses, dogs, and cats. I had to figure this out two years ago when my mother was dying with Cancer.

Responsible high school students have taken care of our animals. A local 4H club could possibly help you find such a person. We pay them well.

Last edited:
I take a vacation every year... sometimes twice a year.

In January we had a pet sitter come in. She never seen a live chicken before, BUT that was our plus she was so interested in learning that she was great! this was an older retired woman who ran a pet sitting business in her golden years. this last time I went away my mom was here because the kids were here (vaca just for me and hubby)

if its just chickens and no other animals that require more work they are easy. If you have other animals that may complicate the situation. I would say its ok its a simple enough job

How long are you going for? could you just top up their food and water and leave them they should be good for 2 days now that the weather is cooler. It wont hurt them to stay cooped up while you are gone.

Because I live in a colder climate, If the temp drops below -20*C with the wind chill my girls dont go out i leave them in the coop with a few extra treats like a cabbage on a string and they are fine

You need a neighbor with chickens you can trust.

Mostly one of us stays home while the othes go on a trip. We are planning a big trip in a year for the shole family.... I don't know yet what to do with 2 horses 20+ chickens, a dog, 2 cats, and some fish! What ever we do it will end up being expensive, as we plan to be gone 2 weeks.

If we're just gone for a weekend, we'll top off the food and water and leave them alone. We may notify a neighbor that we'll be gone, so they'll keep an eye out for anything unusual. If we'll be gone for longer, we have a friend who comes by twice a day to let them out, close them up and keep them fed and watered. He lives very close, and he's happy to do it for the free eggs. I always leave multiple contact numbers taped to the wall in both of our coops. I can add any special instructions to these notes. He also feeds our barn cat. The dogs go with us.

The high school FFA teacher would be a good place to start if you don't know somebody who can help you.

Try local school FFA (future farmers of america) or a local 4H chapter. If not there then look online for a local pet sitter they may be willing to do it. If your only gonna be gone a day or 2 then just feed and water them good and they will be fine.

I have a "pet sitter" who takes care of my animals when we go away. Initially I had her come here, and I showed her the routine. Now I leave a note indicating what needs to be done, Phone # where I can be reached, and emergency #s.

Back
Top Bottom