How do you vacation when you have chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicken.Lytle, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

I need to travel a loooooooooooooooooong way by car, do some stuff, and come a loooooooooooooooooong way back. I am very worried about my flock while I am away.

How do you take a vacation? Who watches the chickens? What needs to be done? Do you have a checklist? Are there any things you have to tell someone NOT to do?

I have a plan, but I am worried that I have missed something important. [​IMG]

Frutfarm likes this.
  2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Never had a vacation.. read about them though, they sound nice!

2 people like this.
  3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Umm. . . I let the rest of the fam take the vacation and stay here with my babies. [​IMG] Seriously I wouldn't trust someone else to watch 'em.

Course, if you have a safe coop and predator proof run, and provide a feeder and waterer with plenty there, and have nesting boxes with plenty room. . . You're all set.

Frutfarm likes this.
  4. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    This is a real issue for me too. Not just for the chickens, we have horses, dogs, and cats. I had to figure this out two years ago when my mother was dying with Cancer.

Responsible high school students have taken care of our animals. A local 4H club could possibly help you find such a person. We pay them well.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
    Frutfarm likes this.
  5. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I take a vacation every year... sometimes twice a year.

In January we had a pet sitter come in. She never seen a live chicken before, BUT that was our plus she was so interested in learning that she was great! this was an older retired woman who ran a pet sitting business in her golden years. this last time I went away my mom was here because the kids were here (vaca just for me and hubby)

if its just chickens and no other animals that require more work they are easy. If you have other animals that may complicate the situation. I would say its ok its a simple enough job

How long are you going for? could you just top up their food and water and leave them they should be good for 2 days now that the weather is cooler. It wont hurt them to stay cooped up while you are gone.

Because I live in a colder climate, If the temp drops below -20*C with the wind chill my girls dont go out i leave them in the coop with a few extra treats like a cabbage on a string and they are fine

6. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    You need a neighbor with chickens you can trust.

Mostly one of us stays home while the othes go on a trip. We are planning a big trip in a year for the shole family.... I don't know yet what to do with 2 horses 20+ chickens, a dog, 2 cats, and some fish! What ever we do it will end up being expensive, as we plan to be gone 2 weeks.

7. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    If we're just gone for a weekend, we'll top off the food and water and leave them alone. We may notify a neighbor that we'll be gone, so they'll keep an eye out for anything unusual. If we'll be gone for longer, we have a friend who comes by twice a day to let them out, close them up and keep them fed and watered. He lives very close, and he's happy to do it for the free eggs. I always leave multiple contact numbers taped to the wall in both of our coops. I can add any special instructions to these notes. He also feeds our barn cat. The dogs go with us.

The high school FFA teacher would be a good place to start if you don't know somebody who can help you.

Frutfarm likes this.
  8. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    [​IMG] we just don't go anywhere if we won't be home before dark

9. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    Try local school FFA (future farmers of america) or a local 4H chapter. If not there then look online for a local pet sitter they may be willing to do it. If your only gonna be gone a day or 2 then just feed and water them good and they will be fine.

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I have a "pet sitter" who takes care of my animals when we go away. Initially I had her come here, and I showed her the routine. Now I leave a note indicating what needs to be done, Phone # where I can be reached, and emergency #s.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by