1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how do you wash a chicken?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hardy Hen, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Hardy Hen

Hardy Hen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    nearly all of my chickens have very dirty behinds...if you know what i mean. they're covered in poop and i'm sure that's not good for them. i'm not sure how to do it and i don't want to try anything that could make them sick.

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Are you talking about chicks or chickens?

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Same question.....

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    On the delicate cycle, warm rinse only. [​IMG]

If these are chicks and we are talking about pastey butt, just use a warm, wet wash rag and gently wipe their butts, you may have to rinse and re-do several times.

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    For baby chicks you can hold the rear end under some warm running water and wash the poop off.

Older chickens - well you might have to pop em in the bath tub or sink.

Make sure you keep them nice and warm till totally dry.

If its baby chicks (I suppose adults as well) you can put a little oil or vasaline or some such on the rear to prevent future sticking - if they have really feathery bums, you might trim lightly, and very carefully, those feathers so they're away from the little bum.

6. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    If your coop and run arent gross and wet, which I'm sure they are not, then their feathery butts will get cleaned off just naturally. I'm not sure there is ever a reason to wash a chicken, unless it has a wound that needs to be cleaned for health reasons. We may love them dearly, but they are animals. IMHO if they don't feel a need to be "clean" then we shouldnt bother them with our own human ideas about bodies, y'know?

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I agree with you chickybaby. I never wash mine and if they have a poopy butt one day the next they don't.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. I take a nice warm wet cloth and wash their butts. I have had some poop that had dried on and wouldn't wash off, so I clipped off the butt feathers. The feathers grew back fine and you can't tell who it I clipped. The chick's I do only if it is persistant.

9. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

With poopy butts, I have DH hold them in the deep sink while I clean/wash their butt feathers (I wear latex gloves [​IMG] ). Then they get a trim and a blow dry.
    I've only had one hen that really needed a frequent booty cleaning and clipping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by