How do YOU wash your eggs??

tedabug

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2010
Pacific Northwest
We're just starting to get eggs and I'm not sure what is the best way to wash them. So far both eggs have been clean looking, but I'm curious what you do? I'm guessing don't wash them if you leave them on the counter. Wash when ready to eat. What soap do you use?

I just keep a soft scrub sponge for them and if they are dirty, gently rinse them under water and scrub any dirt/mess off with the sponge. I lay a dish towel on the counter and just lay them there to dry and then move them to the fridge when dried. I never use soap as eggs are porous.

Hi! I don't ever get my eggs wet. When they get wet, the natural protein coating that protects the egg from drying out (and from absorbing bacteria or green pepper smells from your fridge) is destroyed. So I just use a little sandpaper if they're really dirty -- but otherwise, I just leave them alone -- I figure I'm not eating the shell!

I don't wash unless they are icky. Then I rinse and use a scubby brush on them and only until cleaned off not major scrub. Then dry and put in fridge, because once washed they loose the bloom and are more susceptible to going bad if left out.

I don't wash mine either, unless the birds got their muddy little feet all over them. Then I give them a little rinse with cool to tepid water and let them dry before putting in the fridge (the eggs, not the birds).

I do wash them thoroughly with soap and hot water, then let them dry, prior to grinding them up for calcium supplements to their food.

Because I sell so many eggs every week, I have to wash mine but I do not wash them until the day that the orders go out. When the eggs are picked, they go straight in the fridge. As my orders come in for eggs, I take the eggs out of the fridge, wash the real dirty eggs with only water and a towel and put them back in the carton and deliver ASAP. The eggs that are not dirty, I do not wash them. I just wipe them off with a dry towel to make sure no feathers or hay or anything like that is on them.

i scrub them with a scotch-brite scrubby thingy (u like my awesome vocabulary??) just don't get them wet because that decreases the level of freshness much faster. i personally don't see the point of even washing eggs yur gonna eat yourself-i don't eat eggshells, do you?

I only wash the ones that are really dirty...if it's just a spot or 2, I wipe with a damp cloth or paper towel

Back
Top Bottom