How do you water your chickens in the winter?!

Thanks for the info. From what I can gather, it seems that there is no one set rule for raising chickens and I will need to figure what my chickens like or dislike. I just don't want to do anything that could harm them!

I bought a heated pet bowl 2 years ago and love it. I would like to get the one that you set the bowl on and it heats it. What do you think works better? I need a bigger bowl for the water now that I have more chickens.
smile.png

Quote:
Mine usually are hesitant to go out the first snow of winter, but by the end of winter it doesn't seem to bother them and they go out whether there's snow on the ground or not.

Ok, so for those of you using electircal water heaters of some kind, do you all have electricity out in your coop and you have a plug or are you running outdoor extrension cords from the house or barn to your coops? I have electricity in my house and my barn but not in my coop.
This summer I had one of those super long bright orange extension cords running from my barn to my pool to run the filter without a problem, guess I could do the same for the coop and tape the cord down along the driveway or whatnot so no one trips over it...

These cookie tins with a 25 watt bulb work great for one gallon plastic waterers.

100_3818.jpg

100_3819.jpg

We also use the metal water heater bases for the 5 gallon waterers and heated dog dishes for our wild eastern turkeys and pheasants.

Jody

I run an extension cord to my coop. I have a power bar/breaker on one end of it just to be on the safe side:>) I'm not sure which end would be the safer end to have it on but it is in the coop.
This winter is supposed to be a real bone chilling winter through out most of Canada...like -45 for long stretches. I'm really not sure I want to keep my hens over the winter in that, but if there is ever a time we might have to be a little more selfsufficient it is during winters like this one coming...so I am going to try:>)

I need to think about it for this winter not that many days the water freezes here but I know I need to keep it available at all times thanks for the reminder.

Henry

Back
Top Bottom