How do you weather proof your duck house? Tips!

LilDucky85

Songster
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Northern, Illinois
Well it looks like its that time of year again when we all begin to think about weather proofing our duck houses. Sigh. Oh how I dread frozen water dishes, lugging out buckets of water, shoveling a path out to the duck house, and walking through knee high snow. I have found a few helpful tips along the way though....

-Last year I thought of how to make clean up easier at the end of Winter since I cannot clean the house out for about 3 or 4 months. The previous year I used the layer method and just layered hay all winter. At the end of winter it took about 3 or 4 garbage bags and hours of backbreaking work. So last year I thought to first put a tarp down and staple it to the wall. At the end of winter simply just take the 4 corners and remove it all at once. At the same time it kept the poop from being directly on the floors and walls. It was extremely heavy so I had to garbage back some of the poop and hay, but it was much easier and less messy!

-Although some say not to use a heat lamp I do! I use a red lamp so its not too hot for them, just helps a little. Most of all it helps me sleep at night knowing that they have a little more warmth even in below zero weather.

-I leave the run open for them to go outside to eat and drink during winter, but I line the walls of the run with plastic. This keeps the snow, wind and chill out.

If anyone has some tips on how not to freeze the water please let me know! I have tried the heated water bucket but it didnt work and still froze. I'm considering using a bubbler from a fish tank to keep the water moving and prevent it from freezing over.

Let me know what you do!

Quote:
Sounds like your preped! I have no idea what I will do
idunno.gif
I will have to be cleaning my shelter out though. Its not to cold here in winter, so it wont be to hard. Im building a bran new coop for them, so they will be nice and cozy, no heat lamp for mine though.... Coops to small. But they will have lots of straw to cuddle up too! I have two coops right now, but one is a summer coop for ducklings (its to small for adults and not warm enough for winter!) Gonna built another coop for my chicks and my other two ducklings, lets hope they all get along!

I use a dog kennel and we found a dog house that has almost 6" of insulation all the way around it. I wish I would have put a tarp on the floor though. I have sand down and where their food and water is I have pea gravel. For winter I have wrapped the kennel up like a present with tarps. The dog house is on the outside of the kennel but we cut tbe kennel and butted the house up to it. For their water to not freeze, I bought this thing that your metal waterer sits on, and it has this ceramic plate on it and you plug it on and it keeps the water from freezing. That's what it is suppose to do. We will see. This is my first year with ducks. Oh yeah, I have straw bales lining the walls of the kennel. They have a kiddo pool outside that has a horse tank heater in it woth a guard around it so it will keep the water from freezing but it won't melt the pool.

I cheat.

They spend nights (and the worst days) in the walkout basement pen.

So I don't have to shovel a 50 foot long three foot deep canyon out to their spring/summer/fall pen.

Quote:
I cheat more.... I live in the south! Our winters are pretty mild. We did have many nights below freezing, but not too bad and the ducks were fine in their duckhouse.

Gosh- You get off easy.. 3- 4 bags of rubbish after a full winter!! I clean out my night pens every fortnight and get about 8 bags each time! Of course- no snow for us here in winter- but it does get below freezing at night. Mine are all toasty and warm out of any drafts of winds. I actually put Lino on the cement floor of my pen before a layer of shavings then topped with straw. Makes it very easy to clean as well.

YOu used a heated water bucket and it still froze? how can that be possible? how cold do you get?
ep.gif

I mean, i have heated water containers here(for the horses) and our winters can be pretty harsh.. it always kept the water open.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
they have all different sizes of stock tank heaters to use in all sizes of water containers... I have a 270 pond and I use a 1500 watt one, We have harsh winters and even in minus degree weather is has Never even iced up... I have already cleaned out 10 - 55 gl size garbage bags of straw ( mostly cuz its been so damp here with the mild winter we are having) LOL ...there prbly are alot of easy ways BUT I go overboard to keep my critter cozy and give me peace of mind !!

No, it should not! we were -30C here and my heated water trough was open! ... something isn't working properly.

Oh, forgot to reply to your main question .. what have we done for winter? i added a heat lamp.. yeah wasn't going to, read enough about how they don't need it BUT i had some hens shivering when it hit -30 so i added one.. that helped.. i also add straw and thickly bed but i still clean daily.. my wheelbarrow is set right in front of the ducks mini barn so it;s easy..

Also added a heated water bucket but that was A fail because the darn hens starting using it as a pool!
barnie.gif
so gonna have to downgrade that to a pet water bowl... but for now our major cold snap has ended and i am cheating a touch by having the heat lamp hanging off to the side of the water trough so that is keeping it open in the warm colder temps if that makes any sense...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom