How do your free range chickens not get eaten

kbslara

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2020
I am new to chickening - I got my first batch of girls 3 weeks ago. They stay in the garage at night and I put them in their predator proof run during the day. The entire time they are out there I have 2-3 hawks sitting on branches, screeching and watching them - ALL DAY LONG. My hope was that when they are grown I could let them free range in my fenced backyard during the day, but now I really don't see how that is going to be possible. How do people free range chickens? Are the hawks going to lose interest when they get bigger?

The hawks most likely won't lose interest when they get older. I'm able to free range since my chickens have easy access to cover. There's a chance the hawks might leave once they learn there's no way to get the chickens. The hawks will still go after the chickens once they're older they just might not be able to carry them off. Don't let them out for as long as you've got those hawks there because they're just waiting on an opportunity to snatch one up.

:welcome :frow I agree with @sourland. I have lost way too many birds in the past. Now my birds have nice large covered pens that I covered with good heavy duty netting, concrete under the gates and electric wires around the coops and pens. Every predator likes chicken. Once your birds are discovered predators will lurk looking for opportunities when you least expect it. Good luck and have fun with your flock...
IMG_20180503_094047.jpg
2014-11-18 17.08.29.jpg

I am new to chickening - I got my first batch of girls 3 weeks ago. They stay in the garage at night and I put them in their predator proof run during the day. The entire time they are out there I have 2-3 hawks sitting on branches, screeching and watching them - ALL DAY LONG. My hope was that when they are grown I could let them free range in my fenced backyard during the day, but now I really don't see how that is going to be possible. How do people free range chickens? Are the hawks going to lose interest when they get bigger?
Many variables can impact whether hawks will have interest. If flock size small, then losses free-range more likely to result on all being lost on first event. For short-term I would be investing more in housing so they are kept safer.

I do free-range and have lost some birds, actually many. Some are still lost even currently and many more will be lost in the future. Key to is keep losses under control. My flock is closed where I more than replace losses to predators each season. I will cull several times as many birds as the critters actually take. If considering culling at level eggs consumed, then culling efforts several orders of magnitude above what predators take.

To do the free-range approach sustainably you need more than a few birds kept such that only a small percentage are likely to be taken at a time allowing you the chicken keeper to adapt and make adjustments to reduce loss rate back to what is acceptable.

If you have a small flock that is replenished only by getting new birds from someone else, then acceptable losses may well be zero.

Keeping chickens penned is now cheaper with the advent of complete feeds when compared to approach I follow that allows free-range keeping. My young birds need to be free-ranged to ensure proper development. We all have different trade-offs.

A couple of things have kept my flock safe. First, I don't free range my pullets until they are laying and at a mature weight. I do free range my extra cockerels to keep my work load manageable. There is a large deck in the back and a porch in the front and many trees for cover. Then I have LGDs (livestock guardian dogs, in my case Kangal and Anatolian Shepherds) and there are plenty of crows. The crows love it here and keep the place tidy. They eat left over chicken feed, left over horse feed, left over cow feed, left over dog food.... they steal the eggs laid in the brush... Crows don't like hawks at all. They protect this place so my dogs don't have to get too excited.

I guess the answer is I need a bigger run. I only have 5 and may end up with less if any of them turn out to be roosters. They are my daughters "pets" so acceptable loss for us is zero. Thanks for the input and the reality check!

I have a dog that we trained to bark at and run after hawks. She is very effective. I only free range the girls when the dog can be outside during the day. I am pro-free ranging for my flock personally because they are better tempered and the eggs are better (darker yolks, etc) when they free range. They love it and beg constantly to go out and play. HOWEVER you will lose a bird one day no matter how much you do to prevent it. Free ranging is never 100% safe. I have lost one bird in the last 3 years and they free range for about 4-6 hours about every other day. It was the day that my dog was sick and stayed inside. It was my complacency that killed her. I learned from it.
For me and my flock it is what’s best. Every hobby farm and chicken keeper is different.

I have a dog that we trained to bark at and run after hawks. She is very effective. I only free range the girls when the dog can be outside during the day. I am pro-free ranging for my flock personally because they are better tempered and the eggs are better (darker yolks, etc) when they free range. They love it and beg constantly to go out and play. HOWEVER you will lose a bird one day no matter how much you do to prevent it. Free ranging is never 100% safe. I have lost one bird in the last 3 years and they free range for about 4-6 hours about every other day. It was the day that my dog was sick and stayed inside. It was my complacency that killed her. I learned from it.
For me and my flock it is what’s best. Every hobby farm and chicken keeper is different.
So if I stay outside with them and let them run around for an hour or so, is my presence enough to keep the hawks away? I have a 5 lb dog (I'm hoping the chickens will be big enough to stand up to him because he loves to chase birds 😆) who can't go outside by himself because of the hawks, but even when I am out with him I worry about a hawk grabbing him. I just don't know how aggressive a hawk will be. I'm sure it depends on the size of the hawk and how hungry they are.

So if I stay outside with them and let them run around for an hour or so, is my presence enough to keep the hawks away? I have a 5 lb dog (I'm hoping the chickens will be big enough to stand up to him because he loves to chase birds 😆) who can't go outside by himself because of the hawks, but even when I am out with him I worry about a hawk grabbing him. I just don't know how aggressive a hawk will be. I'm sure it depends on the size of the hawk and how hungry they are.
So, two things. 1) while the general answer is yes, if you move about and babysit them outside then you will likely be fine. But, of course there are people who have experience a hawk taking a hen right in front of them. This is rare but it can happen. Very rare, though in my opinion. 2) mine have about a two hour free ranging minimum. Meaning if they’ve been out for fewer than two hours at least one or two will ignore nearly every tasty food or attempt to get them back into the run. I’m on 3 acres so they can evade me. After two hours they’ve completed their free ranging plans they had and are willing to come when called.

Back
Top Bottom