How do your pearl white leghorns free range?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MVchickens, Jun 6, 2011.

1. MVchickens

MVchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    That pretty much sums it up. Just wondering how well they do being foragers, awareness and resistance toward predators.

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Excellent foragers. Properly trained they'll always come back to roost where they are supposed to at night. Good predator resistance (for a chicken) in that they are small, fast, and fly well. A predator that can catch a Leghorn can catch any chicken.

3. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Mine are on 100% free range and do beautifully. I also have my RIR and other breeds doing the same. Leghorns are just too awesome. Very good at finding and chasing down bugs and hidden weed seeds. Plus they do better than the darker breeds in our climate.

4. MVchickens

MVchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    Good to know. I plan to have 10 to fully free range, Apart from my other flock.

5. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    They do well, but want to roost in trees at night because it is up higher than the perches in the coop. There are a few that I need to remind every night. Mostly they sit on top of the coop so once I prod them to get off, they do get inside.

6. the1honeycomb

the1honeycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    My leghorns are still young but they love to free range and all my birds come into the coop at night. They like to lay around in the yard, kinda funny like decorations!!

7. joypeters

joypeters Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    northridge, california
    my leghorns are awesome at bug control! they never had a problem returning at night. watching them fight over a big worm is hysterical. they do tend to change their laying location. used to lay in the tree well, then a big basket, finally back to the coop, then today i found 7 eggs in another coop normally used for my little ones. ugh!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by