How does Fowl Pox happen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by waddles99, Sep 23, 2016.

1. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    A couple weeks ago I brought home a cockerel from somebody. Bear in mind, my entire flock is disease free, no mites, ticks, lice, any of that. Never had a case of any of the above ever. So, about a week after I found marks on his comb that I am sure is Fowl Pox. My question is, did this come from the farm I got him from? Or did this come from my flock? I want to know if I should say something to who I got the bird from, that they gave me a cockerel with fowl pox, but I dont want to make an accusation if it isn't true.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos?

Fowl Pox is usually transmitted by mosquitoes/biting insects. It can be slowly transmitted from bird to bird when scabs are shed or through dust/dander/shedding.
    Dry Fowl Pox will usually resolve itself in a few weeks. You can apply some Iodine to the scabs to help dry them up.

Watch any scabs/lesions close to the eye, it's possible to get a secondary infection in the eye from pox. Apply some eye ointment like Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin eye ointment on scabs at the eye may be helpful.

BIrds that have had Pox or have been vaccinated usually build up an immunity.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/poultry/fowlpox/fowlpox_in_chickens_and_turkeys.html
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/63/fowl-pox-pox-avian-pox/
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/07/fowl-pox-prevention-treatment.html

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  3. Kimberbach

Kimberbach Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    NE Louisiana
    I have also noticed raised "dark sores" on the combs of my 3 EE.i think this is Fowl Pox. There isn't any around eyes, beaks, etc. They are around 5 months old, this freaks me out. They are housed in my tractor (6x12) next to my covered yard where my others (1 Roo and his 5 ladies) live. The older ones looks fine. I have seen that an iodine paste is applied to "sores"..... how is this exactly made? I'm relatively new to all this so I definitely need advice on what to do. Also what meds to I need on hand to doctor my feathered friends.
    The 5 months are on grass and in partial sun. They have a dust pan on lower level. They are fed and watered on the roost level. The older 1 yr, are housed completely under a roof, on dirt floor (which is raked and cleaned daily). They also free range occasionally. I'd appreciate any help u can extend my way!

4. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    Ok, thanks. Im going to take the cockerel back. Can't have him infecting my flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by