1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How does my Bantam Cochin roo look ? :)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jacklynn, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Jacklynn

Jacklynn Chillin' With My Peeps

I know nothing about show quality chickens. [​IMG] This is my first rooster, even. Haha. I have read the standard, but that doesn't mean much.

So Bantam Cochin breeders, tell me this, would you keep him/does he show potential?

He was a summer 2010 hatch. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you ! [​IMG]

2. Jacklynn

Also - how do you think he would do if I attempted to show him ?

I'm such a noob. [​IMG][​IMG]

3. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    Not familiar with the standard for him but he's a cute little guy.

Your kitty is gorgeous too. [​IMG]

4. Jacklynn

Quote:Haha, thank you ! The cats were all very curious, I had him in the house to get pics. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    He is a bit young but I don't think I am off in saying is he nice. He probably won't win too much at the shows but he is certainly showable. And since I do not show I can't say how well he would do but seeing his conformation at this age I would say he has a long way to go to be a top winner. He could well win his "class" but it always depends on your competition, too.
    He is very nice but at his age I like to see a shorter back, a better comb and a higher wing carriage.
    I believe he will fill in great but the little details are what get you in a show.

I know you will have a handsome man when he is a year old! He already has a nice chest and body shape.

Please do show him in the spring and fall. You may get some great help from others showing and from the judges. AND you will know what to look for in pullets and hens to create your own perfect specimen!

And I too, love your kitty!

6. Jacklynn

Thank you so much Nadine [​IMG]
    I paid $5 for him, so I wasn't expecting him too be a top show bird, I think you did a pretty great assesment on him, you got it right on. I too, thought he looked way too long [​IMG] I might get a show roo from another breeder. I'm still going to keep this guy though [​IMG]

Thank you! [​IMG]

7. Jacklynn

Here's a pic of "Roo" again ! [​IMG] He's 7 months now I believe.

Is he starting to look better? Or no?

[​IMG]

8. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    he needs a bit wider saddle, and not sure about the standard where you are, but for us vulture hock is a no.

9. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    What is "vulture hock?" Is it when the feathers come straight out the back of the "hock" area? Another newbie with Cochins trying to learn! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by