How does this stuff happen ???? UPDATE Mystery solved page 3 6/22/09

Someone had a hen abandon some eggs after a recent hatch. She hatched some and left with those, so they are now hatching the rest in a pie dish with a heat lamp and water source! One hatched last night!
lol.png

Here's the thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=201131

Good luck!

For future reference to the world- I do NOT want any Silkies!
tongue.png

Quote:

Well since I don't have a bator I guess the neighbor who the eggs belong to will have to carry them till they hatch or bad things happen ( I have read of them exploding {that would kinda serve her right} ).

If the first 2 eggs hatch, take the babies from her then she will finish sitting on the others.

I'm sorry, but I would have been REALLY angry if someone had put an outside hen right in with my stock. They could be introducing any kind of disease or parasite into my carefully kept birds. ERRRRR!!!!! Who knows what could/can happen as a result. Just MHO!

That is what you would have to do if you want the other eggs to hatch. Handing raising only takes food, water, thermometer and a heat lamp.

Or when she leaves the other eggs, you can take them and put them in an incubator.

Quote:
Please keep in mind that this is the same neighbor that I "stole" my 3 hens from, so if I was going to get anything I think it would already be here.
Calm down and take a deep breath it was all in fun. And she knew I wouldn't mind.

I think the majority knew when it was your neighbor it was in fun. As my neighbor would not put sick animals in with mine, I do not think your neighbor would do that to you. I actually thought it was cute. Good luck with your hatching.
fl.gif
fl.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif

*lol* Thats great. What a fun neighbor. I can imagine how nuts you went trying to figure that one out. I agree with the other poster... snag the first two chicks and take them into a brooder (or let your neighbor do it) until she hatches out the others. Then you can raise them all together once the rest hatch... or she can!

I would watch the eggs, and remove the chicks that hatch to a brooder. She will continue to set on the others so they will hatch later.

Darn it! The only thing people 'gift' me with are cats (we immediately have them spayed/neutered)
If someone sneaked a chicken in with ours it would be a mean ol' rooster!
Lucky you!

Back
Top Bottom