How dumb can people be?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by terrilhb, Sep 19, 2011.

1. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I am madder than a hornet. I have 5 goats. 2 bucks and 3 does. The bucks are in their pen and the does in their own. My bucks are about 150lbs and 130lbs. My biggest buck does not like people that he does not see alot. So I keep people and children away. Or I should say I try. Tonight my neighbor's mother and her friend come over with a 5yr old and 3yr old. I tell the children to stay away from the boys pen. I am not worried about the smaller buck(Charlie is sweet unless in rutt) The bigger Tack is the one that is very protective even of people he knows. Sorry straying. I tell the girls to feed the girls. They don't care. And if they don't like or know you they wont come around you. Do the girls listen? NO. So I tell the adults to keep the girls away. Did they NO. I had to literally get up and keep the girls away. I know how my boy is. I know how to deal with them. Noone would listen to me. But if the girls would have been hurt or God forbid worse Myself and the goat would have been to blame. How hard is it to understand the goats can be dangerous. I take all the preventive measures to protect people but am I wrong for expecting them to do what is right. I could just the he _ _ out of the adults. If you can not watch them and take warnings than don't come to my house. UUUGGGHHHHH. Sorry for venting. Does anyone else have a goat like this?

2. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    After suffering a brutal attack from a pygmy buck in full rut, I have utmost respect (and really, hatred) for goats. I learned first hand how dangerous they can be, and this was only a small one. I can't imagine a 130+ lb buck coming after me. You are right to be worried about other people coming near your goats. Unfortunately, unless people are raised around them, or care to listen, they aren't going to realize the danger that comes with these guys. You'll have to prevent them coming anywhere near your animals, even if you aren't home. Good luck.

3. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    i know some people just automatically think all of a certian animal is safe like at pet stores when people tell the kids not to stick there fingers into the rabbit cages but they do anyways? or like people feel free to just walk up to any random dog in a car and reach in to pet it and gets bit.[​IMG]
    and then some how it manges to be the owners fault even though they warned and they warned and they warned some more? its rediculous!

4. lil'turkeymama

lil'turkeymama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Alabama
    My goat is a little nannie,that loves to be petted.She's maybe 40 lbs,no horns and not able to have babies.Perfect pet.My horses are very large and not friendly to everyone.They are my horses and are not required to be everyones buddy.My horses,my rules.I have had several people approach these horses,I do keep up an electic fence.Some have told me,well my uncles' grandaddy or so and so has a horse so we know about horses.Thats great.That doesn't mean they know my horses.I understand what you mean about some people being so dumb.I once said something about putting up signs to keep out of pasture,my DH replied they don't understand what you say to them what makes you think they can read a sign and understand what it says?[​IMG][​IMG]

5. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

HELLOOOO!!! Have people not seen Americas Funniest Home Videos? I think just cuz its funny on tv people would realise those people running in terror didn't think it to funny, and seeing them people who have gotten head butted in the back/stomach should warn people well enough that goats really can not be trusted with everyone... Horses either. I had some friends put me on a horse that was "beginner friendly". I had trip to the hospital to prove that wasn't so much the case... People can be very... Stupid.

6. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    If it was an adult warned I would not worry so much. But these are a 5 and 3 yr old. If a 150lb buck with horns even hits the fence with them leaning against it (even after I tell everyone no) they don't listen what would happen to them. I am not going to allow them out there anymore. In the house only. Though I wonder about that cause I have 5 dogs and they don't listen about nothing with them. When they are here they expect me to take care of them. [​IMG] I will figure it out. I just really needed to vent. Thanks for listneing. Glad to know I am not wrong.

7. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

I tell people with kids when they come, if they can not control their kids, don't bring them. Its not to be mean, but to protect both the kids and the animals.

8. llrumsey

llrumsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    We have decided no visitors to the animals if there are kids with them. My buck is also very large and generally friendly, however even I keep an eye on him when I am in his pen.

Also the younger goats, you never know when one is going to run behind me to get away from the alpha female that is a pain in the _ _ _, but she is an excelent breeder and mother.

Also my burros have springy behinds from time to time, I know the look and really watch out.

Had one lady with me, when I was in with my animals and I told her, watch out for the brown goose, he is very aggressive, she got talking and tried to pet him and he bit her. I said I told you to watch out for him.

So it doesnt make any difference if it's a big goat or a goose people just dont think that they are going to do anything to them. They dont stop to relize that they are on the animals property and the animal will protect what he or she feels is theirs, be it their kids, food or even their owner. They will protect it.

9. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

[​IMG]

Just safer for me this way. Simple smilie and move on. [​IMG]

10. wannalive

wannalive Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    tamms/elco Illinoiis
    caint blame the kids.. i mean kids should listen, but realize the ages.... but the parents are idiots....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by