1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How early can I determine the gender of my Rouen duckling?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by whitneyrae, May 24, 2011.

1. whitneyrae

whitneyrae New Egg

May 16, 2011
    So I put in an order for a Rouen duckling at my local feed store. They take orders from their poultry catalog and the shipments come in every week. Unfortunately, they are straight-run ducklings only. I'm hoping for a drake [​IMG] but there's a 50/50 chance it will be a hen. How early can I tell what the gender is?

2. bt03

bt03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    At about 4-5 weeks you should be able to have a good idea based on voice. Girls are LOUD and the boys have more of a raspy little whack and not quack like the girls. To be super sure it may take about 2 1/2 months when they loose their teenage feathers and get their grown-up feathers and their drake feathers start coming in.

Side note: Your feed store was able to order you just one duckling? It's best for them to have a buddy because they are super social and do not like being alone at all.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  3. DuckyGurl

DuckyGurl Overrun With Chickens

Yep, he/she needs a buddy! VERY lonely depressed duckie if not! I agree with what bt03 said.

4. greening

greening Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    mine are a little over a month old and the drakes (the boys) have gotten white rings around their necks and the drakes have lighter bills than the girls.

5. whitneyrae

whitneyrae New Egg

May 16, 2011
    Quote:I have other ducks/ducklings, so he/she will have plenty of friendly company [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by