How early can I tell if my Barred Rock chicks are boys or girls?

I am trying to figure out too. What do you guys think about these two?

I am new to backyard chickens but as soon as I seen this thread I joined immediately.I recently purchased 5 couple week old barred rocks and was told they were all chickens.I was on with that and was just going to look for a rooster from a buddy or somewhere.but I'm pretty sure this guy is a rooster and the others are all hens.can anyone help me out and confirm what I'm thinking on this guy.and if he is a rooster and I purchased him with those hens.what are your thoughts on breeding brother and sister.kind of new to having chickens but recently purchased property and I am having a daughter in a few weeks and want to start her young and get her ready to join the FFA thank you so much for the help
20170605_184643.jpg
20170605_184649.jpg

Welcome to BYC!

That one cockerel, bigger red comb, may be 4-6 weeks old.
The other may be slightly younger..but appear to be pullets from what I can see.

FYI.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).

Ok sweet news.And yes I am very new to finally having my own chickens and animals and my own plants and trees.So I highly appreciate that information because those words are new to me so thank you.Also,do you have any thoughts or advice on breeding them with one another if they are of the same hatch.my name is Charlie by the way.thank you for the warm welcome.

...Also,do you have any thoughts or advice on breeding them with one another if they are of the same hatch.....
If they came from a hatchery, it's not likely so they are siblings. Line breeding, parent to offspring, is less likely to cause problems for many generations. You'll have to do some searches and reading, depends on your goals of breeding.

All of you are describing one of my BRs to the tee, when it was young as a male, while it turned out to be female. You'll just have to wait until 8+ weeks old to be sure.
Most the time by 5-6 weeks you can tell, if you can't tell by 8 weeks, then wait for the crow.

I picked up four un-sexed chicks that were all born on May 13. Now that they are getting older one of them has exponentially longer tail feathers. This chick also has stout legs, but so do two of the other ones. The only one of the four that I am convinced is a pullet is my little barred Rock, Charlotte. I fear that Goldie, Dorothy and Ethel may be in for name changes and a new home and my little Charlotte is going to be lonely. Any guidance on determining pullet or cockerel would be appreciated. I can post current pics if that would help as my avatar is from two weeks ago. Thank you all.

I picked up four un-sexed chicks that were all born on May 13. Now that they are getting older one of them has exponentially longer tail feathers. This chick also has stout legs, but so do two of the other ones. The only one of the four that I am convinced is a pullet is my little barred Rock, Charlotte. I fear that Goldie, Dorothy and Ethel may be in for name changes and a new home and my little Charlotte is going to be lonely. Any guidance on determining pullet or cockerel would be appreciated. I can post current pics if that would help as my avatar is from two weeks ago. Thank you all.
Welcome to BYC!
Post pics at 5-6 weeks, males should be apparent with most breeds.

Back
Top Bottom