How early can Pullets be on layer feed?

4671658-4671658-image-4671658%20country%20feeds_all%20flock.png

Could switch everyone to an 'all flock' feed, serve whatever calcium supplement you prefer (egg shell, oyster shell, etc.) on the side, and can even grind it fine to be used as a non-medicated chick starter. Truly is an all purpose feed that won't have you skimping on nutrition or overdosing the calcium for birds that are not actively laying such as unstarted pullets, chicks, cockerels and roosters. Birds seem to realize that too much calcium is bad for them, and avoid it when they don't need it, so don't mix it into the feed, just serve it on the side.

I switched to all flock a few weeks ago.
Interesting thing....I had a hen not doing well. I nearly culled her she was feeling that poorly. Since changing she is up and about nearly 100% normal.
She is a giant cochin...not good layer breed...I am convinced she needed the change in feed. I am a convert to all flock all the time.

i tried using the all flock feed for my chickens because i mixed my pullets with the flock at 8 weeks, but i'm so happy i just got my first egg so i can now go back to layer pellets! i was going through twice as much feed with the all flock becasue it was a crumble, not a pellet and they would just scratch all of it out of the feeder, with the pellets they barely waste any!

I feed a wet mash every morning. They don't waste it that way. ;)
They have dry available but aren't inclined to spend much time at that feeder since the wet is available.

(the youngest ones in that group are 15 week old barred rocks) so can I move them out now and feed layer?
I don't feed layers feed anymore, but I did with my first Flock of Golden Comets.
Around 15 weeks their combs and wattles started to swell and turn red and they started to squat when I put my hand over them. By 16 weeks their behavior changed and one started to make a nest on the coop floor.
So at 16 weeks I started layers feed by mixing it with Start and Grow 50/50.
The layers feed was a Pellet so I mixed some with Scratch Grains to get them interested and Scattered on dry ground. They loved it.
The first pullet layed at 16 1/2 weeks. All 5 were laying by 19 weeks.
So if the Barred Rocks are showing signs, red swollen combs and wattles and squatting when you try to pet them. Go for it.
My second Flock happens to be Barred Rocks, started showing signs around 18 weeks. They started to lay at 20 weeks, all 7 were laying around 23 weeks.
I offered my Barred Rocks Oyster Shells separately at 17 weeks. They went bonkers for it. Two days they consumed it like candy, eating more than half a 40 ounce pail. 20181214_095753.jpg Then interest tapered off slowly over a week.
So it seems as they get close to point of lay they need more Calcium than is in a Start and Grow or All-Flock feed. I never got a soft shell egg from my Barred Rocks.
I feed all my Hens and Pullets 38 months and 10 months old a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower or a All-Flock/Flock Raiser crumble 18/20% Protein, whichever is fresher or available when I'm at TSC. GC

I like to feed layer because I have all hens normally, but hate not finding a good feed over 16%. My last hens went through lots of oyster shell even when on laying feed. For anyone looking for a 20% feed with calcium for layers, Kalmbach just came out with Full Feathering & Plume feed also a 20% crumble or pellet in a flock raiser.

Even when I used layer feed, there were times they needed a little more calcium than what the feed provided, so that's not really a great argument for keeping them on layer feed. I did not really notice a big impact on lowering the protein at first, but later on, I noticed that it was impacting their molting, and feather quality.

On the other end of the spectrum, I have chickens I show. While the seriously high protein levels are great for raising them, I found that too high of a protein level in the show feed I was using, interfered with egg production.

Those are the reasons I decided to keep mine on a grower/flock raiser feed. The protein levels work better over the long haul, and the free choice oyster shell calcium to supplement their calcium needs keeps egg production going just fine.

Back
Top Bottom