1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How early should I order my chicks from Performance Poultry?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chick_a_dee, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    I'm ordering chicks from Performance Poultry next year as they're really close by me, and they have lots of breeds and a few I am interested in.

What I know is that we are ordering 6 Buff Orpingtons, 1 Partridge Chantecler, 1 Red Star, 1 Speckled Sussex, and 1 Ameraucana

Any objections to these picks? Also if it helps, we live in South Eastern Ontario about 3 hours from Ottawa.

How early should I order from them from Performance? ... I want to order soon as last year I missed their order date and had to order from Frey's instead.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Don't know about that hatchery as I'm in the US, but if you know what you want, can't hurt to order early. I placed my order in January for chicks in March here in the states. Our feed stores order in Jan for may.

3. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:I ordered my girls in April/May I believe... for mid July, but I know Performance Poultry sells out fast, and they have a bunch of breeds i'd like to try...like EE's, and Red Stars, and Buff Orps.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Why not just email Jason and *ask* him [​IMG]

He is not going to have a firm catalog/pricelist or hatching schedule til January or February IIRC (that's where my chicks came from this yr) but I am sure you could ask to be put on a list of expected orders.

This year anyhow (and I don't know why next yr would be different) he only hatches from the first week of May til early to mid June. So you are not going to have very much choice as to when to actually GET your chicks. It's a small operation.

Good luck,

Pat

5. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:Timing won't matter, we're only a short distance from him and by then our current girls will be laying... I emailed and have yet to have a response. I just want to make sure I can get my "rare," breeds [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by