How easy is it to re-home a Roo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Echolalia, May 6, 2011.

1. Echolalia

Echolalia Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    San Francisco
    One of my 4 week old Welsummers is beginning quite different from the other girls - bigger, pinker comb, emerging red wattles, short stumpy tail feathers, odd bald spots on the wing joints ( where shoulder blades would be on a person) different feather patterns from the other Wellie. I think "Ethel" might be an "Ethan".

I called the feed store that I bought the chicks at and they advised waiting another couple of months (okay) and if it is indeed a Roo, they will take it back, where it would be destined to become someone's dinner. Gulp ... okay, cycle of life. Then she suggested that, if I didn't want to make the drive down to Half Moon Bay, that I simply pack him up in a box and go to one of the nearest Home Depot and give/sell him to one of the day workers. When I asked what would happen to the roo if the worker happened to find a job that day, she said, "no big deal, he'd be in a cardboard box, right?"

I don't mind one of my chicks eventually becoming someone's dinner, though I'd prefer he(?) go to a farm to live out his life lording it over a flock of hens. But shoving him(?) in a box and pawning him off on someone who would probably keep him cooped up in the box for the day, who may or may not provide water & food throughout that day , and do G_d knows what with him when he got home (bait for dog fighting, cock fighting ... all worse fates than being eaten)? Can't do that, and yet another reason I'll never shop at Half Moon Bay Farm & Fuel.

So, is it possible to re-home a roo in an ethical and humane way? Like I said, I don't mind an animal becoming dinner, as long as it's remaining time on the planet is in good conditions and it's demise is quick and humane. But I can't just hand off an animal without knowing that it will be treated well.

- Michelle

2. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    I feel your pain..... [​IMG]
    The unfortunate truth to raising chickens is you will always get roos. and only a lucky few will ever get that wonderful life.
    As hard as it is, he could provide your family with the gift of dinner, at least you would know he was treated with respect and love...

3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    [​IMG] Michelle!!!

Why don't you post a photo and let the 'experts' try to help on the gender of such bird. On Welsummer roos, the chest aread is darker than hens. I don't blame you about trying to find a home to let 'him' live out the rest of his life. I did that when I got rid of all my chickens last fall. I will have to get rid of one or two Welsummer roos when mine get older.

Good luck!

4. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Personally, I've had some happy rehoming stories. Two of mine have gotten to live as studs (despite being mutts), and another one got to go live in a backyard with some other hens. I've kept four happy and safe. Otherwise, we usually butcher them, or the dog/fox/hawk/weather makes off with the wild uncatchable ones.

5. Echolalia

Apr 13, 2011
    San Francisco
    Here's Ethel/Ethan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's Bertha
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

An aerial view:
    [​IMG]

6. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    my roo's was more pronunced at that age so hopfully not

7. naughtyhens

naughtyhens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2011
    San Francisco
    Echolalia, I am in San Francisco too and looking at the same dilemma in a few months as I am trying to hatch some eggs around May 14.
    Two different people have told me that there is a farm in Gilroy that takes rare breed cockerels and roos for a breeding program. I know that's vague, but I bet it is the same place. Please post if you find out and I will too.

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You know, it is possible that they gave you the wrong sex. It's also possible that they gave you the wrong breed, and that's why the chick looks different.

Wait a bit to be sure. Then you can post an ad on Craigslist to find a home.

No, you don't take a chick to be handed off to someone that will keep it in a cardboard box all day. If a chick is going to be someone's dinner, you want that chick to be treated humanely and killed as humanely as possible.

9. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

I wish we weren't on opposite coasts! I am going to order chicks from a different hatchery than I would like just to get a beautiful Welsummer rooster. I live in central Virginia and even on craigslist, people are not giving away roosters, even mixed breeds. They want $3 & $4 for mixed breeds. They sell RIRs for $10 each. I would pay money for a Welsummer rooster and it would not become dinner. I have been watching craigslist and our penny saver for a couple of months and no Welsummers for sale ever.

10. Echolalia

Apr 13, 2011
    San Francisco
    Quote:Such a shame ... If Ethel/Ethan turned out to be a roo I'd be all too happy to give him to someone who would appreciate his handsomeness - Welsummer roosters are gorgeous!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by